Thursday, June 4, 2009

good measure

Yesterday I had a few lessons in math. I learned:
* I need to mix up less than a gallon of fruit tree spray to spray 2 pear trees and 2 apple trees. In my eagerness to try out my new backpack sprayer, I made over 2 gallons. (FYI, the backpack sprayer rawks.)
* The potager requires much wider walkways--it's all about perspective. The beds are huge and so's the space I'm building it in--I spaced the beds 30 inches apart and it looked cramped and crowded and felt cramped and crowded. Today I'll move everything around and add 18 inches to the pathways. Much easier to move the raised beds around before they're filled with soil and planted, right?
* I can't count to 10--I posted about 10 Green Grad Gifts on Eco Women--and my list? Only added up to 9 items. Thankfully Jen can count and pointed out my flawed math.

Now I'm wondering if I'm qualified to re-teach my son 4th grade math all summer...

18 comments:

  1. Our 30 ft. long garden has 11 rows of corn and 1 row of bush beans and I swear, I feel like I'm walking on a tightrope every time I go in there.

    The walkways are 24" (which is what was recommended), but geez. Who knew I walked so WIDE?!? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was helping my son's friends with their summer school math--it's amazing how quickly you forget stuff when you don't use it all the time. And the textbook? Worthless. For $140.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't even attempt to help my girls with their elementary school math. That's for their father when he gets home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Math smath. It's overrated. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to see pics of the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's cool. You can still teach my 3 year old! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay...so is potager actually a word? Or did you make that up? And it's OK that your math skills are going south...so is my memory. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never knew how much math is involved in life until I started trying to make things...music, gardening, carpentry, sewing, etc etc: all math. It makes my head hurt but at least it's math with a purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I managed to make my garden paths a little too small this year. If the lettuce comes up, I might end up stepping on it!
    Fourth grade math isn't too bad. You can do it! (Think: math facts. math facts. math facts.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Reading, writing and water skiing - those are my favs - 4get math, I haven't used that stuff since high school algebra ;-)

    And I love that sidebar pic of the back 40

    ReplyDelete
  11. Getting the rows right is one of the toughest things to do; when it looks good by eye, I always forget the growing stuff will hang over and narrow the aisles, so you are absolutely right to do it wider NOW!

    You could always ask Slugger to tutor him....

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's good that you are spraying the trees; hard to get a decent crop without doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You most definitely qualified!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh lord, gave up helping with math after third grade.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I feel your pain. And ditto to the person who said, "math smath"!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was hoping I'd relearn math as my kids were learning it. That hasn't really worked out...

    ReplyDelete
  17. I needed a tutorial for third grade geometry. *sigh* I can do this stuff in real life, but the whole pencil-to-paper thing is not my strong suit.

    ReplyDelete
  18. He needs to be re-taught math? Not good for a member of Team Testosterone, who would probably much rather be running amok. We swear by Kumon and Loopy gets no respite, even over the summer. Painless skill building for ten minutes a day. Good luck, Green Girl!

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.