Friday, June 19, 2009

make some noise

I realize as a country girl I should be taking pictures of the strawberries, the kids swimming, the peonies bursting forth in our pastoral setting. Yet there is a house being built about a half mile away. From the constant thrum of engines, diggers, concrete mixers and the like you'd swear that I lived in the middle of the construction site. Methinks the creek enhances the accoustics of our new neighbors' McMansion.

So much I could write about in this post--I'm leaving Team Testosterone Sunday for Utah to meet the Screw Iowa Gals for 5 days of writing/critiquing/planning/reinvigorating. I'm so anxious to hear what they think of my current MS and to tell the others what I think of theirs--the scenes I loved, the scenes that should get cut, the descriptions that enhanced, the characters that were dead on. I know that for all my planning and prepping to go, it'll be worth it to return lighter and enthusiastic--and a little sad that I won't have time to get cracking on my MS with their advice until Team Testosterone goes back to school.

But my crazy schedule has nothing on this.

Dear Mary Alice, True Patriot and Bloggy Friend needs you to help spread the word. She's a military wife living on base. You know how the Walter Reed fiasco erupted a few years ago? Apparently military housing is in a similar reprehensible state. Sub-standard and positively dangerous.

Floors that buckle and warp. Venting and siding filled with mildew. Paint chipping and peeling. Cabinets with worthless hinges. Poor drainage, inadequate space, stained toilet seats, leaking roofs.



actual pictures lifted from Mary Alice's blog

Readers, Mary Alice doesn't live in the ghetto, her family plays $2,759.00 a month to the VHA to live in this house. The VHA contracted with a privatized housing company to run the show. And when her husband gets promoted? They'll get to pay more in rent.
Show your outrage--link to this story or report on it--make it public. Write to your legislators and insist on fair and decent treatment for the people making the ultimate sacrifice for our country. Tell them to hold the private company accountable. Tell them to align the rents according to the property value. Tell them to fire the slumlords and start the process of rebuilding/rehabilitating the base housing.

18 comments:

  1. I am jealous of your five days! What a cool group to be a part of. Thank you for the sister support.

    ReplyDelete
  2. MA's tale is outrageous. Might as well use the bloggy grapevine of links for good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is absolutely outrageous. I can't believe the U.S. military is treating its families so badly.

    As for you, I hope you have a great time next week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll link -- I read Mary Alice's post yesterday. Good grief! Who knew and what a crime. . . I'm doing the sins on Sunday! good luck with the MS critique . . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. That rent is pretty shocking.

    Enjoy your 5 days in Utah. Sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 'Peonies bursting forth' - that's a great phrase. And holy crap...leaving the husband and kids for 5 days??? That's a mother's dream right there...not in a bad way, but sometimes we just need a break right? Especially if it's pursuing one of our passions..my passion is to taste all the different margaritas there are, I don't think I'll get 5 days for that. ;)

    That's crazy about the military housing. My BFF's husband is in the Air Force as well, and she has seemed pleased with all of the housing they've stayed in thus far. Amazing the difference in living standards.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And by living standards, I meant the conditions of the different housing provided by the same branch of the military...not your friend and my friends thoughts about what is acceptable. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have a great time on your literary outing!

    That military housing rental charge is terrible! It's far past time that our government quits screwing our military families!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's awful. Call the media, keep blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is awful about the military housing. And I had no idea it costs so much for THAT. Here in my sister's town, we were just shown where a bunch of homes were demolished so they could build new ones. From I was told, there wasn't really much wrong with these houses. Seems they need to take some of the money here and spread the wealth to your friend's area. Man oh man.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay for kid-free getaways and spreading the word.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a cool, cool thing. I think it's so awesome you girls do that. Wow. Good for ya'll.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hopped over to the Screw Iowa Girls - so cool - these cyber communities are wonderful. Hope you have a fab time.

    I'll have to post something next week about MA.

    Plus, love your new banner!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! That is an outrageous amount of money to be living in a place like that! That is insanity!

    Have fun on your 5 day getaway! That sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very glad that you too think that Mary Alice's house bill and conditions are an outrage.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Here's wishing you loads of creativity (and a few delicious drinks) during those five days. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  17. enJOY your trip!! And the military housing is unbelievable!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Holy crap. This is appalling.

    On the flip side: your trip sounds amazing. Feel the love.

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.