Tuesday, June 9, 2009

of cucumbers and celebrities

Ah, the potager--so many questions to answer! The beds are 8X8, so I plan to plant a few flagstones in order to reach the center where the tomatoes grow. The tomatoes (Roma, grape & Brandywine varieties) are planted among zucchini, Delicata & Buttercup squash, carrots, beets, onions, spinach, lettuce, peas, beans, cilantro, rue, basil and broccoli. To the right of the beds will be asparagus roots, to the left we'll plant the sunflowers. Pumpkins and their kin are in the pumpkin patch behind The Farmer's Wife (more on her in a moment). The strawberries will be ripe for picking starting next week--they're in the bed by the house. Come on over!
We spaced the beds 4 feet apart and I'm torn between laying down pea gravel or flagstones on the paths. A hedgerow of lilacs will go behind the beds and perhaps a fence next year--but thus far we've had no deer issues. You see, Violet the Semi-Stray Cat does a dandy job of keeping smaller critters at bay and the deer have plenty to eat in the cornfield behind our woods so they don't notice anything else. Besides, my neighbor and his son have sharp eyes and shotguns--fresh venison for them, right?
If you DO have a bad deer problem, here's a recipe used in these parts:
Beat 1 egg and 1/2 C milk. Mix with 1t cooking oil, 1T dish detergent and 1 gallon water. Spray on plants. For other tips on keeping deer & other critters at bay, click over to "Fur Frontal."
Since the rain might stop today, I'll have to wait a few days before hauling the rest of the dirt into the last bed and planting it. Baby steps.
On to celebrity sightings.
This weekend we went to the Great Wisconsin Cheese Fest when we weren't hanging out at graduation parties--a family tradition for us involving a parade, rides, games, the Bachelors climbing a rock wall, cheese carving and eating cheese. My neighbor, History Girlie AKA The Farmer's Wife WON FIRST IN THE CHEESECAKE CONTEST! Terribly exciting for all of us because she brought that blue ribbon cheesecake over to the Bumble Book Club a couple months ago for taste testing. It was every bit a winner.
And if living behind an award-winning cheesecake baker isn't exciting enough, I took karate class with actress/singer/songwriter Melissa Otero last night. Yeah, for real. She's on tour in in my area for a month and taking karate at my school. Check out her MySpace site to hear her sing. It was terribly thrilling for me to punch pads held by someone so talented. From here it's just a small leap to working out with Jackie Chan or Jet Li...

18 comments:

  1. Those beds are looking good! Don't know about you, but I can't wait for fresh tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh. . . I entered a cheesecake contest a couple of years ago. Didn't win - but then it was my first cheesecake :)

    Congrats to your neighbor! And lucky you for getting to taste test it first.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much going on in your green world!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We just harvested raspberries from our garden this morning. Yummy! There isn't anything nearly as good as your own produce :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll be curious to hear about your asparags. I planted a few this year, knowing I won't be able to harvest for at least a year and maybe two. We'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Will that work for the bunnies that are munching on my corn? No deer tracks so it must be Peter Cottontail.

    Hey, by the way, I tagged you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow – that is one ambitious planting plan! How will you water?

    ReplyDelete
  8. STRAWBERRIES!!!! AAARRRGGHHH!!!!

    *weep* What I would give for a strawberry.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds like you have a lot of exciting stuff going on. :) I guess having a friend who is a champion cheesecake baker might come in handy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Whoo-hoo on the cheesecake first place award! I was there to taste it and can vouch for it deserving the honor. Love to hear about your gardening plans--so much to look forward to!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your garden sounds amazing! I am so jealous! Enjoy the bounty. And the cheesecake. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  12. My gosh, you are a green girl! I want to follow your plan for a garden! LOVE it. Congrats to your neighbor, as well.

    funny you stopped by, I was thinking of your blog today and planning to visit as soon as I got the chance :).

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gee, I'm blushing. Thanks for the shout-out!!!!!

    Kitty and I may meander over sometime soon so I can check out the potager and Kitty can slide down your slide.

    ReplyDelete
  14. OK, I bow down to your prowess with all things veggie, fruity, and flowery. :)

    Congrats to The Farmer's Wife! I love cheesecake!

    And how awesome that you kicked and punched with a star. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. How I'd love to come to pick fresh veggies from your garden!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Crazy days--- what fun! I think that I would abandon the quest for skinny jeans with such a cheesecake baker so near. Mmmm. Cheesecake...

    ReplyDelete
  17. My vegetable garden is in full swing.
    Please describe this award winning cheesecake, Mama needs more info!

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.