Tuesday, July 7, 2009

eagles, politics, camp and pie

Seriously, can you think of a more All-American post title than that for July?
Yesterday NPR was full of chatter about Sarah Palin. Will she run for the White House in 2012? Is she merely an overwhelmed mother who needs to rake in dinero to care for her family by going on the talk show circuit? Is it irresponsible to ditch the position the people of Alaska elected her to or is it brilliant political maneuvering? Is she the Savior of the GOP or the Great Divider? I believe I learned the answer at home when Mr. D, Republican, Capitalist, Occasional Chauvinist and Suduko Enthusiast proclaimed I'd rather see Hillary in the White House than her--Hillary's more intelligent. There ya go.
Selfishly I'd like to see Sarah Palin run again in 2012 so I'd get more of this:

We have bald eagles living in a nest in the woods behind us and they've had babies! I kind of thought I saw junior eagles flying around, but sometimes a hawk can look dark depending on the shadows--Mr. D confirmed my suspicions. They fly about 10 miles one way to the river to catch their dinner and carry it back home. It seems terribly inconvenient.
Mr. T will go to camp for the first time today--4 days away from home. Will he make it through without a midnight phone call begging to come home? Will he bring home everything I pack or lose half of his stuff while adventuring? Will he have the sense to wear mosquito repellent? Stay tuned...
And finally, the reason y'all are really reading the 450th post of my blogging career today:

Berry Berry Pie
1 (14 oz) can Sweetened Condensed Milk
1/2 C lemon juice
2 C assorted fresh berries
1 (8 oz) container frozen non-dairy whipped topping, thawed
1 graham cracker pie crust (recipe below)

In large bowl mix sweetened condensed milk and lemon juice. Mix in berries. Fold in whipped toppiing. Spoon mixture into crust. Freeze 5 hours or until set. Let stand 30-40 minutes before serving. Garnish as desired. Store leftovers covered in freezer (though I stored ours in the fridge and it turned out just fine).

Graham cracker crust: one sleeve of graham crackers crumbled and smashed. 2/3 C melted butter. 1/2 C sugar. Mix together in a pie pan and press against sides and bottom with the back end of a fork. Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes. Accept no substitutes, Keebler has NOTHING on a homemade crust.


Off to label all of Mr. T's belongings with my trust Sharpie!

17 comments:

  1. I Hope Mr. T has a great time! What do the brothers get to do when the oldest is gone?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Luck Mr. T! I hope you have a great time!!!

    Is he going to Bear Paw or somewhere else?

    I too saw the eagles...how very exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tina Fey was just brilliant as Sarah Palin and I'd love to see more of that.

    Good luck to Mr. T. My girls have been away from home for camp for 5 nights at time, but they've been with my sister, so it's not quite the same thing as being on their own.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am soooo making that pie. Yes, Tina Fey was brilliant...but really...the idea of more Sarah Palin makes me want to run weeping into the woods.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Homemade is usually best.

    Hope Mr. T. has a great time.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think Sarah running for pres guarantees a dem in the office. so i am thinking of starting the "dems for palin" just to insure our man gets back in...

    coming over for pie. right. now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eagles!! !! That is so cool!! Do you have binoculars? Half of me thinks its creepy to own a pair of binoculars, but the bird-watcher in me would love to have a pair. There are two hawks (I think...see? I need binoculars! *haha!*) that have been hanging out on the roof of the building across from me and they are so magnificent! Eagles get quite large, too...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Eagles? We see them, too, but our yard is too small for their nests. We're closer to the river.
    Pie? This sounds awesome! I think the strawberry cake I posted today was originally your recipe. Now I need to try this one - after Saturday's farmers' market, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember the first time Shortman went away to camp. He had a miserable time, but only because he thought he had to hang around with his roommate the entire week - and that roommate had other friends at camp.

    Once he figured out that he didn't have to spend all of his time with one person, we couldn't get him to come home. AND he couldn't wait to go back the next year. and the year after that. ;-)

    Everything came home - although STINKY!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW! Eagles nesting out back! That sure is a lot more exciting than blue birds!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, dear. I do wish you'd posted the pie recipe before a certain nameless someone grossly overindulged the slightest smidgeon on apple pie over the holiday weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My camp advice is never to crack. If they make it once, they're golden.

    I figure we're good with SP either way--either she runs and loses or she goes with Fox and we just don't watch.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fey is beyond sublime but any more of that perfectly coifed Palin is a thought too terrifying for me.

    Congrats to both you and Mr. T for your respective milestones!

    ReplyDelete
  14. "Sudoku Enthusiast" LMAO!! My dad loves Sudoku so much that I call it crack on paper. :D

    Wow, how cool to see bald eaglets! Are they still an endangered species?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I totally want more Tina Fey as Sarah Palin. Sadly, I fear that Palin is looking to be the new face of GOP media. She's better looking than Rush, that's for sure. But I'd really just like for her to disappear back into the backwoods of Alaska. But if not, then there will just be more chances for her to continue embarrassing herself maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I laughed my ass off when Palin resigned. Now I wish she would just go away, enough already... But I would vote for Tina Fey!

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.