Wednesday, July 29, 2009

football, other stuff, football again

This just in: Green Bay's former hometown hero and quarterback has finally declared his intentions--leaving a huge void in NFL news coverage--because if ESPN can't discuss the allegations against Ben Roethlisberger and Michael Vick is truly reformed and contrite as he claims, what's left to discuss as we end our 3-month break from the NFL? I, for one, am happy to see the end of the Favre Fiasco--what an asshat, eh? I laugh every night while Mr. D watches SportsCenter because Favre "still making a decision" night after night hardly passes for newsworthy development in the world of sports reporting.

And speaking of Green Bay, the Emerald Ash Borer has made its way there, and so go the lovely trees bordering parks and streets because you know that bug brought all of his country cousins and they're having a par-tay beneath the bark. Ironically I just posted about invasive species on Eco Women yesterday. What were the odds?

And speaking of Eco Women, did you go over and leave a comment for a chance to win a shopping tote with our cool logo emblazoned on it?

In other breaking news, this morning Frank Deford gave his opinion on women's sports and Title IX--totally copying* part of my own recent post and conversational arguments about Title IX--primarily how the increase of women on campuses means more women playing sports while the hallowed ground of football is still kept holy at all costs--which means fewer sports for men to play as football is a roster-hog with as many as 80 players per team, the equivalent of 4-5 women's sports teams. So it's so long to men's sports as budgets get cut which only looks sexist if you're looking at overall athletic programs and not at playing positions. And the ratio of men to women on campus.

But the best football news? Mr. G and Mr. B want to play flag football this fall--and they play in the same league at the same time which almost NEVER happens when you're trying to schedule a Saturday and life around your kids' activities. It makes me want to stand up and cheer!


Hollaback! Who's yo' momma? Go Team Testosterone!


*But it's not copying because it's Frank Deford and he's a genius. He was chiming in and bolstering what I've been saying. Like my smarter, older, more elegant echo.

14 comments:

  1. Hurray for when the scheduling works out!

    and you want some of my heat? PLEASE take it. PLEASE.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, it's the perfect cheer!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heart Frank deFord. And as a Vikings fan (please don't throw anything at me) I'm so so so releived we are not getting Farve... please don't hate me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Frank Deford is totally your stalker, so stop being nice about him. He echoes your every word, all the time. I mean, I was behind him at the Dairy Queen yesterday, and he was quoting a post of yours from March. So weird.

    The same flag football league? Unheard of ease of schedule!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Feel you about scheduling, mine feels like scheduling a celestial event: it requires a lot of God's will/luck/synchronicity.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't care whether Favre signs with the Vikings or not--I'm just weary of him altogether! I rather imagine the Vikings fans are more relieved to be shed of him, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The same time? Go buy a lottery ticket today!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have no ash trees left in southeastern Michigan. At all. It's so sad to see the stands of dead trunks...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Favre is a bit of a drama queen.
    I have Tom Brady's comeback to worry about.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on finding the Sports Schedule Holy Grail. You are the first mommy ever to do so in my recollection. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Are we doppelgangers, or what? I'm thinking almost all the same thoughts! I've admired Favre for years, but I'm as glad as anyone that he's finally retired. This "Favre not sure" crap is almost like the old "Francisco Franco is still dead" from SNL. I'm sure that Favre's real retirement is inspiration for yet another perfect cheer!

    ReplyDelete
  12. An asshat. hehehe Never thought I would think that about Favre, but yes, I agree. I kinda wanted him to come back and play for the Vikings just so I could watch him get his ass handed to him. Is that mean?
    But really, I wouldn't be surprised if in a few weeks he comes out of retirement AGAIN and decides he DOES want to play for the Vikings. What a knob.

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.