Tuesday, July 28, 2009

more berry news

In one of my more stunning stupid decisions, I undertook the strawberry patch project last week. "Hey Slugger--we're going to rip out all the strawberry plants, till up the ground, bring in some new soil and kill the grass that is choking out the patch."
Smiling and nodding without saying much as is his ilk, Slugger got to work and we were up to our eyeballs in dirt. Thursday I told him, "I read that we should wait a week before replanting where you sprayed the Round Up, so we'll finish this next week."
"You'll finish this next week."
"Excuse me?"
"I have football camp."
Oh snap! There is no "we." Yes, yes he told me he'd need this week off for football camp 2 weeks ago. Yes, yes I'm a dumbass who can't read a calendar. Yes, yes my back and shoulders are sore from spending ALL DAY YESTERDAY raking out the new dirt, pulling out the entrenched grass roots and replanting the strawberry plants which? Had gotten a little stinky and slimy whilst sitting in a wheelbarrow I kept wet with a hose and a now moldy towel. EW! NO amount of scrubbing got the foul smell out of my hands and I still have to finish the edges.
And the million dollar question remains: Will this work? Will tilling up the patch, pulling and replanting the strawberries and killing the grass result in a neat orderly strawberry bed? Will the berries grow well next season? Will the weeds and grass be manageable? Stay tuned... I'll learn through trial and error on this one I guess. Hopefully the advice I've gotten from veteran berry growers is good. Any berry growers out there want to chime in?
Meanwhile, the raspberries continue to ripen...

16 comments:

  1. Can't help you. I never had any luck with my strawberry patch.

    Can you get some little boys to rub your neck and back? Bribe them with ice cream?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm totally not a berry grower....I get my at the farm stand up on the corner....but I give you an A+ for effort!!! It totally sounds like how my projects go over here........

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a chore. Hopefully your efforts will be rewarded next spring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My strawberry patch always does really good, in fact, they are somewhat magical. They box themselves up in these cute little plastic boxes in an orderly fashion, right next to other fruits that I like. Oh wait, that's not my strawberry patch, that's my grocery store - I don't have a strawberry patch cuz I live in Arizona and they would surely die!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw instead of strawberries - go with blackberries - you can't kill those suckers no matter how hard you try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I knew. So sorry about football practice--really gardening sometimes feels more like a workout than a regular workout!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aren't you supposed to wait something like 4 months after RoundUp before planting again?

    Or maybe not.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll be curious to see if the patch works now. My raspberries? They have potential. Potential for attracting birds, that is. We rarely get to eat them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oy! And I spent WEEKS pulling wild strawberry plants out of my Bees Balm!

    ReplyDelete
  10. tisk
    tisk


    round up? I could have told you a way to do that without that stuff....

    our oldest starts camp this next week as well......

    have a great weekend!! round up and all :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have yourself a bonafide "ohbutno" there between the soreness, the lingering stininess, and especially the decamping of Slugger.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wait, You got your kid to help you garden?

    Pls. forward all parenting tips to me ASAP.

    ReplyDelete
  13. *sigh* rasberries are just like teddy-bears' noses. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I dug up 6 blueberry bushes, put in new soil and mulch and then replanted 10 blueberry bushes with the same hope. We'll see if my time, labor, and money were worth it next year.....

    ReplyDelete
  15. PS: My strawberry patch grows about 6 strawberries total. It's so disappointing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Haha. I bet when he told you that YOU'D be doing it you wondered when he'd gotten so sassy :)

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.