Wednesday, July 1, 2009

one new thing

About a month ago Apathy Lounge wrote about this being her summer of One New Thing. "how easy it is to do the same thing over and over...day after day. Life unfolds with a certain amount of rhythm and regularity, even if you happen to be an impulsive person who enjoys an occasional last-minute getaway. You still take your clothes to the same dry cleaners and--most of the time--take the most direct way home after a long day of work. After a bit it's easy to become resigned to staying home (because it's easier) and renting a movie, rather than braving the crowds downtown." (Now go--click--read her whole post.)
She vowed to do One New Thing to remedy the routine that has taken over her life.
This post really spoke to me--I've become so narrow in scope, too. I cluster my few errands around my kids' karate classes, I hunker down and go through the motions and expectations of our schedule and make NO effort to expand myself beyond necessity...and our calendar.
One New Thing.
I'm doing it--with a specific focus. The boys have plenty of Activity--karate, baseball, soccer, swimming and a recent obsession with playing Around The World in our driveway. We're participating in the public library's summer reading program and having Summer School at our kitchen table so the academic is aptly covered. What's lacking?
Culture. We're incorporating One New Thing this way: every other week we'll go to a concert, museum or play. We'll support our local arts community by Making the Effort to see their work. We'll make the collective effort to see an exhibit or sit through a city band's free concert at the park. Something we don't do, something that will make our lives richer and more interesting.
One New Thing.
Who's in?

16 comments:

  1. That's a great idea!

    This summer, our focus is physical fitness -- making sure the girls do something active every day. Yesterday, they rode their bikes. Today we'll walk to the library.

    I know that probably seems odd to you, especially since you have such active boys, but we're all mega bookworms who'd much rather have our noses in books than do anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea! It's so easy to get caught up in the routine. Work..mow the lawn..water the garden..ect. I'm going to have to think about it and pick my one new thing. Thanks. BTW...started a new blog. Saxton Road was getting too crowded so the new blog is Eclectic Farmhouse. I moved a link to your blog over there. ~Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. My youngest son always insists that we try new things: food, routes to and from errands, places to shop, etc.

    What would life be without Luke . . .?

    Boring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a great idea.
    I have a list of places to see. I've been here 3 years and I'm just starting to explore the cultural side.

    I went to the Morse Museum in Winter Park FL. They have the largest collection of Tiffany artifacts in the country, if not the world.

    Also on my list is a local nursery that has a big butterfly garden

    ReplyDelete
  5. One New Thing that I didn't really initiate myself is having my two oldest girls gone for weeks at a time. My 7 yr old left for her dad's house a couple weeks ago and won't be back until August - and my 11 year old left on Monday to go visit my mom for 3 weeks. So it's a new thing to me to only have 2 daughters in the house. hehe :)

    Oh and to answer your comment on my last post - I ultimately wanted to be a dancer for Janet Jackson's music videos. I had danced since I was about 7 or 8, both in school and dance studios, went to a performing arts high school in Vegas for dance, participated in dance competitions, etc...for about 8 years I ate/slept/breathed dancing (ballet, tap, jazz, modern). Then my first little ray of sunshine was born, and that was that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea!

    I try to do one thing each day that scares me - and it's easy to let it slide. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  7. City Band! Tuesdays, 7 PM, Pierce Park. Bring your own lawn chairs and mosquito repellent. And keep an eye out; we might be there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea! I'd made up my mind to cook one new thing every week this summer (I tend to get suck in a cooking rut) but this sounds way more fun! I'm going to work on it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't commit, but I love the idea...

    Okay, I'll give it a shot. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. One of the coolest posts I have seen this summer! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think that I had that post in my mind when I decided to do more new things this summer--I just didn't recognize it.

    I'm doing well with this--but it is way easier once your kids are older.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like this idea! I need to really think it through though. There's a reason I end up over=extended. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful idea!
    Inspiring post. You've got me thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a good idea!! !! Art! Music! Poetry! Dancing! The Little Greens will be so well-rounded!

    I should pick One New Thing...hmmmmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  15. One summer, when money was tight, we didn't go away for vacation. Instead I made a list of all the attractions in our fair city that people come here to do/see and we picked ten. We "vacationed" without leaving home. And it was FUN!

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.