Monday, July 20, 2009

patriot night at the ballpark

It's been 2 years since Mr. D last donned his Ghost uniform. Last night he and his team played the U.S. Military All-Stars.

Mr. G got to hit a baseball.

Mr. B got on base, too. (Say it with me, "Hey, Dad... You wanna have a catch?" Nobody can resist the power of that dang movie.)

The game ball and an American flag were dropped in via a stunning display of skydiving. (No, George Bush Sr. was not among the skydivers.)


The U.S. Military All-Stars were a young team--less than half the age of the average Ghost. They played like it, too. (I cracked many a joke about a comedy routine followed by another comedy routine.)

My entertainment was thorough with a Harry Carey impersonator announcing the game. The bases were loaded...so was he! (badum-bum!)

At the end of every Ghost event, there's always a giant group hug and photo op

and autograph signing (that's Mr. B with outfielders Juan Velasquez and Josh Guevara).

No, it wasn't weird AT ALL to wait in a long line so my sons could get their dad's autograph after the game.

And when all of THAT was finished, we enjoyed a screening of the documentary. Let me tell you, it is EXHAUSTING being married to an international celebrity.

But the perks, like participating in last night's event, are totally worth the trouble.
Old Glory and baseball--could there BE a more all-American way to spend a weekend in July?

14 comments:

  1. I just love a weekend of the all-american sport..And the all-american boy at my home at a grand slam!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the boys waiting in line for Mr. D's autograph. I mean, really, shouldn't a boy's daddy be a bit of an iconic/hero figure?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is as Americana as it gets. I had no idea about the Ghost players-what a cool idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, clearly I have some catching up to do, as I have no idea what this is all about and probably not just because I've never seen "Field of Dreams."

    (Can you tell that baseball is not big here in our house?)

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you build it, they will come...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't know about the Ghost players, either. That's so cool about the boys waiting in line for Dad's autograph!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that the boys waited in line for their dad's autograph. Priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cool! I'm sure it made great memories for everyone involved!
    Your friend and fellow sieve, Becky

    ReplyDelete
  9. How very cool! That's just an awesome night :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi,

    I played with the ghost team and Doug back in 1995-1997, i did a couple of trips with him it was a great time, but then ended up signing a professional contract and never came back to the Ghost team.

    Could you please tell him that I said hello. This is Brian Piddington. He should remember me.
    my email address is rocketman575@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Was a great evening for baseball; the celebration of the military and Ghost Player the movie documentary and the book. Check it out.

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.