Monday, August 10, 2009

aw, shucks

I'm glad to report that my score was way under par. No, it wasn't beginner's luck or some sort of spontaneous outpouring of suppressed talent. A line of thunderstorms marching through Iowa and consequent poor course conditions kept us from golfing. Which was a sort of luck in itself, don't you think? With huge relief I've stowed my clubs for another season--maybe next year I'll get the courage to pull them out again.

We brought home 15 gallons of sweet corn from my mother-in-law. Her neighbor up the road has a freakishly green thumb and whatever my MIL and this guy's mother don't take gets plowed under. Really a waste. I took the entire haul out of her basement and she's going back for her own--it pains her to see things go unused. I'm thankful for the bounty because the Wisconsin sweet corn crop can't touch Iowa's this year--they had much better growing conditions.

This afternoon Team Testosterone and Slugger will park out in the yard or on a sheet in the basement where it's not muggy and 15 degrees cooler and shuck away. We'll be gnawing on sweet corn with supper tonight and I'll freeze whatever goes untouched. And I've made two perfect pie crusts this morning (strawberry pie and banana cream pie for dessert!) so luck must be on my side!

14 comments:

  1. Oh dear sweet corn. How I love you so. I used to eat nothing but corn on the cob for dinner. All the time. I never thought that was strange until Todd and I first started dating and he told me it was odd. I just ate so much of it that I didn't want anything else. So good. :)
    Enjoy your corn and pies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, love sweet corn.

    We'll be picking lots of edamame this week and freezing it. And I'm nearly due to harvest a bunch of basil and freeze more puree. It also appears that we'll be drying black beans soon too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds delicious. My youngest daughter would be delighted to be at that party--sweet corn is her fave.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could live on sweet corn.
    At least for a little while. Yum yum.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmmm I want to eat at your house tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I didn't get a chance to go golf this weekend. I'm hoping to take up the sport though. I'll keep you posted on my progress.

    Nothing better than fresh grilled corn with sweet butter and salt - yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Yummy!! I'm still waiting for corn prices to go down around here. I've only picked up a small amount. And some I had during the heat wave literally dried up. Oops!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, unfortunately, Our sweet corn isn't as good as usual this year. I'm picking the last of the lettuce and monitoring the sneaky zucchini.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're sending me a piece of banana cream, right?

    I hope to actually get to taste our corn this time. The first crop was gone before I got home. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aww shucks indeed!

    Mmmm corn on the cob!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Darnit, Why didn't I move to Wisconsin? I think I have some pastry in the freezer, I should use it up today eh?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Our sweet corn has been awesome. I'm buying and freezing because they're priced at TWELVE FOR A DOLLAR right now! How can I resist?

    ReplyDelete
  13. "...Her neighbor up the road has a freakishly green thumb..."

    Oh, like that one character in the Tim Robbins book? *teehee!* That phrase will be in my head all day..."a FREAKISHLY green thumb..."!! I love it!!

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.