Sunday, August 23, 2009

grand plans & a golf story

I feel terrible posting when I'm not keeping up with reading everyone else's blogs--it feels so narcissitic and rude. So whilst on vacation this week (at a lake house with high speed internet!) I'm going to catch up with reading what all my bloggy friends have posted in the last week. And I'm going to read a couple books, newspapers and magazines. I'm going to fish, swim, kayak and canoe. I'll play miniature golf, eat ice cream and wax Mr. D in cribbage. Team Testosterone and I have grand plans to catch our dinner and play catch with a football. The Momvan is packed to the gills with junk food and towels, beach toys and fishing gear. I've remembered matches, flashlights, rain ponchos and bug spray. Our glorious neighbors have agreed to split garden/pool/cat/mail duty and we'll enjoy the last full week of summer far away from Normal Life.

I hope Mother Nature cooperates--she's been kind of bitchy this summer, what with the 50 degree nights in July and August and the constant wind. Mr. D and I went golfing with friends Friday night and I lost feeling in my nose, ears and three fingers it was so darn cold! I kept looking for Jack O'Lanterns because it sure felt like the tail end of October, not mid-August.

Shall we segue to my fantastic golf story?

Despite the frigid course conditions, I played one hole I have to brag to you about. There's this island hole on the golf course--you have to tee off a distance back and hit over a moat just so to reach the green. A 170 yard par 3 hole, assuming you make your first shot and take 2 putts or a chip and putt. I casually slid an older ball out of my bag when we reached the hole--I'm notorious for drowning my balls on this hole and didn't want to drown one of my pretty pink ribbon balls. And what do you know? I cleared the moat and landed a sweet 2 putts away from the hole!

But the icing on the cake was Mr. D sinking his drive in the moat and then sinking his second shot as well. That's the kind of thing that only happens in my golf fantasies--never in Real Life.

15 comments:

  1. Ohhh I love to win at anything when I play my husband: tennis, cribbage, scrabble, anything :)

    Golf is going to be my next game I take up. Of course my husband has been playing since he was a kid - maybe that's what's holding me back - I'm not going to win :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. okay, but where are you exactly? because i? am on my way.

    enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, it's still summer there. Lucky you! I don't care what Mother Nature says, the School District declares our seasons. And the District says it is Fall despite our high 90's temps and glorious sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a great vacation whilst I go back to work....:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. sounds like you have a great weekend planned. i have not been posting or reading. can't seem to get my blog mojo going....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a wonderful vacation! Hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have a great time.

    My BIL is a big-time cribbage player. Our game this summer is Mexican Train Dominoes--tons of fun for up to 8 people.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bet you are having a spectacular time at that lake house. Sounds wonderful. Even though school started a couple of weeks ago here, I think the kids would think that a week away would be good right about now. Homework has already kicked in.

    You are a killer golfer. I am totally impressed. I have a hard time just playing Wii Golf.

    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You go on the golfing! I can't hit the ball. But I did win a round of pee-wee golf earlier this year. My husband could scarcely believe it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your vacation sounds wonderful! I am jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey, you post when you can and you read when you can.

    Somehow I think winter is more "blogtime". When it's cold and yer tired of being stuck in the house. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd like to learn how to play cribbage. And to play it well enough "to wax" someone? Ooooohhh. (Love the waxing expression!)

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.