Thursday, August 20, 2009

mother's little helper

Well, actually he's not that little. But he's gone. Poor Slugger took a tackle Tuesday at practice and that ended up in a ruptured spleen. It's really heartbreaking--not the part about not helping me any more this summer, it's that he worked so damn hard all summer conditioning and impressed his coaches and they recognized all his talent and then just before his season starts his senior year, BAM! he's down for the count.

Mr. D's just holding out that Slugger will get the okay to play baseball in the spring.

This kid's got the worst luck. I'm praying that if he doesn't experience some miraculous healing, something really great comes out of this for him. Slugger totally deserves it.

Meanwhile, I've got to track down a different breed of MLH ... something strong, fast-acting and effective.

12 comments:

  1. Poor guy! I'm so sorry!
    This kind of thing seems to happen to my middle child too often. Last year he trained all summer, running miles and miles in the heat of summer, only to get a stress fracture in the first three weeks of cross country practice and miss the whole season. No fair!

    I'm sending him--and you--a hug!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, poor kid! Hopefully he heels fast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor Slugger! It's gotta be killing him that he can't play! Crossing my fingers for baseball season.

    I wonder if the Beechnut people conducted any focus groups before they launched this gem of an ad. Beechnut as a stress reliever? Only if you can glue the little darlings' mouths shut with it, I think!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor kid! I hope he heals quickly. Please keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's terrible. I hope he's okay for baseball in the spring--sports in your senior year are so bittersweet. There's nothing like the final high school game.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Poor Guy, I will pray for a speedy recovery!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Life is soooooooooo not fair sometimes!!!!!! Hopefully this "lemon" will turn into "lemonade"!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ow...poor thing. Hope he heals quickly.

    Bummer you lost your MLH for the rest of the summer - bet you're counting the days 'til school starts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, no!! I hope he'll heal soon. Poor guy - poor mom. I'll bet you're hurting, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I'm so sorry. Poor Slugger! And I'll send hugs and prayers to both of you. Because a mom is only as happy as her least happy child. It really irks me when bad things happen to my kids and a ruptured sleen is downright scary.
    Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Eek, a ruptured spleen! Cross country running = no internal injuries.

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.