Tuesday, August 11, 2009

the reveal!

A while back I alluded to a new project...I've since unveiled it AND yesterday booked my first paying customer!

Behold!

Write On!


A writer’s workshop for students from 6th grade to 12th grade


Give your child the best writing instruction available. Small class sizes, individualized instruction and personalized feedback on writing make Write On! an ideal choice for writers of any ability. Lessons are organized to build in key objectives along the way and each course will address several Wisconsin State Standards for Language Arts grades 8-12.

Cost: $72 (send $30 cash or check payable to: Green Girl in Wisconsin to hold your spot, balance is due at first class. Sorry, no refunds.)

Location: Chez Green Girl

Call: 555-1000 to enroll!



Check out my first class offering:

Poetic License

Tap your inner poet and let your pen do the work! Over six weeks we’ll study poetic devices (figures of speech, rhythm, structure, meters) and elements of good poetry (structure, meters). We’ll read a combination of classic and contemporary poems that best illustrate the focal points of each poetry lesson.

Students will produce a poetry portfolio showcasing mastery of these poetic devices. By writing over 20 poems themselves, students will have a concrete understanding of what goes into the most concentrated form of writing.

Required Materials: pen and notebook, access to word processing and printer at home strongly recommended.

Thursdays 1:00-2:30 p.m.



It's teaching without the staff meetings and politics. I've learned that I'm happier working on my own terms, with a lot of freedom and without a lot of red tape and hoops. So far all I've done is email the administrator of the local homeschooling website and she posted my brochure as a PDF. A homeschooling mom went to the site, saw my brochure, called me and Ba-BAM! My first student and my first check. I haven't even marketed this too heavily yet, but paper brochures will soon flutter into the hands of eager parents. New beginnings are thrilling--and already I'm getting requests for summer sessions and adult courses.


And yes, the sweet corn was great. The banana cream pie is almost GONE.

14 comments:

  1. That's so great! I'm so excited for you and what you're doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! Making things work on your own terms!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! I just know this will be a grand success.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are so getting the best writing teacher ever!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome!! Right now I wish I was a 6th-12th grader living in Wisconsin.

    Ok, I may wish that wayyyy too often...except for the Wisconsin part, which I really never wish because I'm not sure I could thrive behind the Cheddar Curtain. But you know what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful - I know it will be a huge success. I wish we'd had options like that when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fabulous idea! I am so happy for you--it sounds like such a perfect fit!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Yay you! That's a nice age to be teaching, too. Hope your students are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. YYYYYESS!!! Good for you! You could package and sell this curriculum, too, in addition to teaching it yourself. Of course, it wouldn't be as good without the teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's mighty impressive, lady.

    Congrats on knowing what you love and finding your own terms to keep on doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Way to go creating your own fantastic, perfect-for-you job. I can't to hear more as it unfolds.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Adult courses - yes please!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ever consider online courses for kiddies not in the Wisconsin area???

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.