Thursday, September 10, 2009

blessings

* Mr. T got a B on his health quiz and a good report from his teacher. His attitude for me at home has been FANTASTIC all week.

* 7 new parents came to last night's PTA meeting and all the usual suspects returned and signed up for committees and took on responsibilities.

* I enjoyed coffee with Amanda, my local writing partner, and passed her the first 2 chapters of Kicks Like A Girl, newly revised per the Screw Iowa advice.

* Mr. D knew exactly what to say and how to listen when I needed his support last night. And he gave me really good advice.

* The pear bread was awesome, so I made more. It's chewy and a little crisp on the crust and the nuts make it crunchy while the pears make it moist. I ate half a loaf by myself.

* Now I'm down to only one case of pears.

Pear Bread

3 eggs
1 1/2 C sugar
3/4 C vegetable oil
1 t vanilla extract
3 C flour
2 t baking powder
2 t cinnamon
1 t baking soda
1 t salt
4 C peeled, cored, finely chopped pears
1 t lemon juice
1 C chopped walnuts OR pecans

Combine the eggs, sugar, oil and vanilla, mixing well. In another bowl combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. Stir into egg mixture until just moistened. Toss pears with lemon juice. Stir pears and nuts into batter (will be VERY thick). Spoon into 2 greased 9" loaf pans. Bake at 350 for 55 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans.

10 comments:

  1. See? you ROCK. the bread sounds delicious. i could eat the whole loaf.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like good things indeed. Especially that pear bread. I've passed it on to my friends that are crafty in the kitchen in hopes that they'll make me some :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That pear bread recipe is a blessing! Thanks for posting it. :)

    I'm glad things went well at your PTA meeting and with Team Testosterone.

    Enjoy your day, GG!

    :D - Julia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that bread sounds good. If you still have pears, try making them into a pear upside down cake. My mom used to do that when we had too many, it was delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never heard of pear bread, but I have to say, I think the pear is the most under-rated, under-appreciated fruit of them all.

    Pear bread it is! Bring it on.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Technical question: Did you peel and core by hand? I have one of those nifty dealios that peels and cores apples, wondering if it would work on pears?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pear bread sounds delicious! Good luck on the black belt! We'll all have a virtual party for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That pear bread sounds amazing. Glad you had a great week. We have our first ever PTA meeting next week. I'm exited to go as a new parent!

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.