Wednesday, September 9, 2009

pears, panic, pta

This week was overbooked as it was, but then 2 of 3 pear trees insisted upon a speedy harvest. What's a girl to do with 3 cases of fresh-picked, almost organic pears?

* I tried canning them. Canning pears? Is putsy and time consuming and for crying out loud--SEVEN pints is all I had after 2.5 hours? Not worth the effort or the ensuing mess.

* So I tried freezing them. The results were less than spectacular.

* I brought them to the karate school and urged people to take--For Free!

* But I still have 2 cases left.

* Pears are fussy fruits. Too ripe and their centers are brown mush. Too unripe and peeling the skin and slicing them requires heavy machinery and a skill saw.

* Now I am trying a Pear Bread recipe, which is very similar to an Apple Bread recipe I make in the fall. Two loaves are in the oven. IF things go well, I'll have many loaves in the freezer because Pear Bread? Uses up like 8-9 pears in two loaves.

* Mr. D was out of town last night so of course Mr. G showed up with a nightmare. I told him to go on his dad's side of the bed. He walked around the bed and stood there asking, "Dad? Can I sleep in your room tonight?"

* I got Mr. G settled in and then spent the rest of the night tossing and sweating and having panicky dreams about black belt candidate training. Which begins Friday night. I'm nervous that I'll forget my inhaler. I'm afraid I'll forget to bring my gear. I'm terrified of all the running and push ups.

* Mr. D left his alarm clock on, which helpfully interrupted my wakeful sleep at 5:45. And then? I couldn't figure out how to turn it off.

* And now I am printing out agendas for the first meeting of the Happyland Elementary PTA of this school year. Or I would be if I could get my printer to work.

10 comments:

  1. Take a deep breath. Center yourself (if in fact that is possible.)

    I had a week like yours last week. Middle-of-the-night wakings wreak havoc on a Mom. But when they're followed up by a super-full schedule (and I didn't even have to worry about push-ups!) they are even worse.

    The good news is, this too shall pass.

    The better news is that you can poach those pears in a little cran-raspberry juice for an out-of-sight dessert. Serve them over a scoop of vanilla ice cream and you'll be in heaven.

    Also, look up recipes for preserving pears in brandy. There's nothing like a little *kick* to make that harvest sing.

    I'll be keeping a good thought for you this week. Enjoy your 9-9-09!

    - Julia at Midwest Moms

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your thinking, Midwest Mom. And I agree, pears are so picky. One minute they're hard as a rock, the next they're mush.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I was overcome with pears. I love them. Middle Child and I would gorge on them.
    If the pear bread works out, would you publish the recipe? It sounds like it has potential...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I second Midwest Mom: Take a deep breath. This too will pass.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK, that's a crazy week.

    My grandma used to can pears. She used to can everything! So yummy.

    I'm with Midwest Mom -- take a deep breath. I know you are going to rock at black belt training. Can't wait to hear how it goes -- and to see that black belt when it's all done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The life of a Mom - you're such a peach - um, I mean pear. ;-)

    Have you tried pear (like applesauce) sauce?

    My husband loves it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. PTA would have been enough to panic me let alone a plentiful crop of anything. I'd just like for my tomato plants to actually produce more than a couple tomatoes. I am now taking tomatoes from parents at school to can because everyone else seems to have more than needed. Can't win so I'm just going with the flow over here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hugs to all of you - but mostly, you. I recommend peach jam. Muffins, maybe? I threw peaches and apples in the crockpot tonight and called it fruit compote.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love pears. For about two weeks/year then I completely overdose on them.

    Maybe you could stick some in a vodka bottle and infuse it? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmmmmmmm... pears! Pear sauce sounds delish.

    It's amazing how things just pile on some days. Hope today is lighter!

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.