Wednesday, September 16, 2009

perception

Mr. D is a salesman, which means when he's in public he's "on." He has a public personality and a private personality that most people never see. These two faces are both genuine, but I've come to believe that the one I see at home is more truly Mr. D's. Like most people with huge public personas and large amounts of charisma, the man who comes home at night can be dramatically quieter and sometimes even grumpy to counter the exertion of being "on" all day long. After a week of constant contact, the last thing Mr. D wants on the weekend is to gad about with More People.

I'm used to both of his faces. I'm used to seeing him every day and I've grown accustomed to the lines on his face, the silver in his hair, the cleft in his chin. I see him without really seeing him.

This morning we sat on the porch drinking coffee and talking. Suddenly I saw him--differently--I saw how handsome he is, how boyish he still looks. I can't put my finger on exactly what part of his face I saw in this new light, but his eyes looked bluer, his jaw more defined. I glimpsed--for a moment--why so many other women find him attractive. And it reminded me that I take him for granted in many ways. I'm a pretty lucky gal.

17 comments:

  1. Those moments are priceless - it's too easy to take your partner for granted.

    I'm glad to know there are other couples who sit outside in the morning to drink coffee. I love that time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I have see Mr. D...he is cutie.

    The silver fox...that's our Mr. D

    ReplyDelete
  3. aw, what a sweet post. Sounds like you are both lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe that after a certain amount of time, we all start to take the people in our lives, those we love the most, for granted. We need moments like this to remind us not to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't it nice when we notice them for something positive instead of chomping or various other rude sounds they are prone to making?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love those 'new light' momemnts. Feel the same way about my honey.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so sweet. Have you told him this?

    A few years ago, I was driving through our neighborhood when I saw a man on a bike up ahead of me. My first and immediate reaction was how good looking he was. About two seconds later, I realized that it was my very own husband. I made sure to whistle at him as I drove past.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great post. I hope Mr. D reads your blog :-)
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. awwwhhhhhhh.....I certainly need to check Chips eyes and see if they've gotten any bluer......thank you for prompting me to look :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello my Green Girl~ I'm finally back from my summer blogcation.

    Isn't it wonderful to look at the partner who has shared the worst and the best of you. Who, when he enters the room can still make your heart go pitter patter.

    I look at my hubs after 27 years and know I am truly loved... despite the ill effects caused by menopause, which has manage to obliterate any resemblance of that young girl he married. "Ain't love grand?"

    Please stop by...I look forward to the return of your company.
    Sweet wishes,
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's one of those magical moments in a long-time marriage. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. GG!! I gave u an award!!! Go check it out on my last post!!!! :) HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I sooooo know what you're saying

    My husband is almost 50 and we've been together for over 30 years - married for most of those. And I still see him and think GOSH I'm lucky :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. very sweet. so nice you can see him in a new light every once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Isn't it (not so) funny how easily we lose sight of our sight? Closeness is sometimes not so good for perception. I felt the same way when I was on our anniversary getaway...

    ReplyDelete
  16. And people say romance is dead!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can only hope my husband feels the same way about me because your description of Mr. D's personality at home vs. work sounds exactly like me.

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.