Monday, September 28, 2009

we're all winners!

Not really. A lot of you lost. (But you're not losers, don't let anyone tell you that ever!) #2 was the lie. I had leading roles in Bells Are Ringing and The Pajama Game. When you're second female lead alongside the cute Doris Day-type, it helps if you're loud, obnoxious and have (fake) red hair. I was a terrible driver in high school--okay, Mr. D, and beyond high school. But! I haven't been in an accident in years now. So there. I actually earned a letter in Forensics, but my sporting career was limited to one season of bench-warming my sophomore year and I was never in the band.

A few people went 2 for 3 on my game--Madame Hotfessional, Jen on the Edge and Hope over at .Bulletproof.. Ladies, to honor your accomplished B.S.-sniffers, shoot me an email with your address and I'll send you your choice of my home-made applesauce or raspberry jam.

Meanwhile, I'm up to my eyeballs in it--a bake sale (sugary), black belt training (sweaty), kids with homework and projects (scowly), class reunion (sensational), garden harvest (seven quarts of tomatoes this morning) and a manuscript to edit (squinty). Busier than a one-legged man at an ass-kicking contest. Truly.

But a few words about my high school reunion before I return to my chores--I may have mentioned that I don't really have a "home" in the traditional sense. My family moved every 4 years or so, we never lived close to extended family and they've kept moving since I graduated high school. The question "Where are you from?" leads to complicated answers. Which I won't bore you with here. I will say that I'm loath to "go back" because I always feel like a fringe element around people who'd spent their entire lives together. I've never done a college reunion and rarely return to any of my old haunts from any point in my life. Perhaps it's a fear of having been forgotten (my ego fears discovering my insignificance) or it's a fear of showing up where I'm not wanted. I hate to crash parties as an uninvited guest.

I went and it was swell. People greeted me with open arms (literally--I haven't been hugged so much since I don't know when). People told me they were glad I showed up, they hoped to see me and reconnect. Really overwhelming. I found myself faced with old classmates who have become successful, happy, productive people. Sure, a few pompous jerks mingled with the crowd, but I didn't really talk to them. I talked to the guy who sat behind me in 9th grade English, the girl I wrote a senior class skit with, my prom date. I met wives and husbands, heard about folks who couldn't make it and saw a few people who have always nestled in a tender spot in my heart.

I laughed with pleasure, shock and joy. Nostalgia permeated the air as the DJ spun all 80's hits on vinyl, competing with the talkingtalkingtalking because there was much to catch up on when you've been away from each other so very long. I jotted down a couple email addresses and promised I'll come back in 5 years. I lay in bed Sunday morning exhausted, hoarse from all the talking and muscles aching from the weekend's black belt training. But I lay there utterly content.

17 comments:

  1. It was fun! And there were some classmates who, lets just say, time was their friend..and some who time wasn't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was so great to see you. I haven't been out that late, or shall I say early, since prom. It was truly nostalgic...even the next a.m. when my mother said she was worried when she checked and we weren't in bed after 3 a.m. I told her next time I will text her where we are. Times have changed...20 years ago I would have had to lie, but now can tell her the truth. And sometimes time doesn't change anything....she still assumes I am in the perverbial ditch unconscious and when is she going to get that dreaded phone call!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's great! I felt much the same way about my reunion this summer but am also glad I finally sucked it up and went. So happy you had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember almost nothing from high school. Nothing. And I'd prefer to keep it that way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. SO glad you had a good time.

    We're going to my husband's 30 year high school reunion this weekend. My high school never got it together to have one.

    But, I know a lot of the "kids" from my husband's high school 'cause they all went to UofO with us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow!! Sounds like you had a fun time! I skipped my first HS reunion - maybe I'll go to the 15 or 20 year if they have one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ...if someone asks you where you're from, you can always just say, "I'm from here."
    * : )
    You have a lovely chunk of land, and if that alone doesn't qualify you, well, you have Family "There" now, right?

    I claim the Land of Enchantment as my home, even though I've lived here "only" 10 years...yep. It's where I'm from.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I moved so far from where I went to school that I've never been to a reunion. I've always been kind of glad I have that excuse - but I have to admit you make it sound like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A DJ who plays vinyl - oh, the memories!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh gosh, I can't believe I get a homemade goody from Casa Green Girl. Thanks!

    I'm glad you had such a good time at your high school reunion. My 20th was two years ago and, for me, it was best that I did not attend, but I'll consider going to my 25th.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad you had a good time! Sometimes, I guess, you CAN go back.

    Email on it's way. Jam. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know what you mean about moving around and never feeling like you belong. I don't return to my high school reunions, I moved there my Senior year so I don't feel the need to stay connected with anyone other than 2 or 3 that were close.

    I envy people who live in a place where they grew up and have family and friends nearby. I hope my husband and I stay in this town/city forever. This is the longest place I've ever lived and at 5 years that is pretty sad.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like fun! I find it very theraputic to meet up with old high school classmates and discover that most of us aren't as irritating as we used to be.

    I love that you are doing black belt training and working on the bake sale. You are a kick-ass mom.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So glad you had a good time. I've never been to one of my HS reunions, but my 30th is coming up next summer. I've had quite a few friends find me on facebook lately, and it's been fun to catch up. I'm seriously thinking about going to this one (and I'm wondering if time has been my friend...)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yay for good high school reunions! I was home taught most of my high school so I know about feeling like a fringe element amongst kids who grew up together.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awww, it's good to hear GOOD reunion stories! Most of the time I hear horror stories. Glad you had fun!

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.