Tuesday, October 20, 2009

green girl, black belt

Saturday afternoon Mr. D brought Team Testosterone out for my 3-mile run--the final 3 miles on the journey to my black belt. Their cheers ringing in my ears (alongside Donna Summer's), I ran my best time ever--27:11. Team Testosterone ran with me for the final half mile. My pack keeping pace with me, I crossed the finish line while they enthusiastically hollered "Good job, Mom!" A total Kodak moment. If anyone got a picture of it, I sure hope they give me a copy.

Then it was back to the dojo for 3 hours of testing--combos, mitt work, forms, weapons, self-defense. Team Testosterone couldn't stay because we had people coming from Iowa, but my good friend Nicole and her family dropped in to watch a while which was encouraging. I had a terrible cold settled in my upper respiratory system, so my voice was hoarse and I kept sucking on cough drops to take the edge off. The Qualification Test wasn't as exhausting as Extreme Day, but I felt pretty wrung out by the end of it all.

I and listened to my instructor ask the candidates if we really believed in ourselves. It took much self control not to crack up during her "respect your body, don't use drugs or tobbacco" speech. (I listened to Nancy Reagan when I was a child so I knew to just say no.) I bit my cheeks when she had the parents join their kids on the floor and urge them through the final stretch of physical endurance (obviously I had no parents there, so a teenaged 2nd degree boy took over for me).

Kids were crying, a couple were screaming--emotions ran high for the under 18 crowd but I didn't feel pushed mentally or emotionally like the kids did. It was only physically challenging for me and I was prepared. I didn't puke out, cry, sob or quit. I aced the test (except for combination No. 9--I kept getting dizzy and did a sloppy job on the back round-tornado-spin kick-punch) because I trained for it and knew my stuff. I earned every fiber of the fabric in that black belt. And when I actually receive it on November 7th, I'll post a picture of it tied around my waist.

When I returned home at 5:45, Mr. D had a beer poured and waiting for me for me. The people from Iowa had stopped in Madison and bought me a 6-pack of Fat Squirrel Ale which was a darn fine thing. We had a lovely visit before they left for their motel in Green Bay (with their Packer tickets in hand!) and I was showered and in bed by 8:00, flush with success and cough syrup.

25 comments:

  1. Yeah you!!!! You are awesome! Congratulations!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Waaaahoooo! Yippie! Hooray!

    Congrats to Green Girl! We Farmers raise a toast to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a great example for your boys---do something to the best of your ability. I don't think I would want to do the black belt at any age.

    ReplyDelete
  4. CONGRATULATIONS!

    The part about Team Testosterone running with you made me cry a little. Isn't it amazing when your family supports your dreams?

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow - congratulations!
    My son just started karate a few weeks ago. I was skeptical at first, but he loves it and I love the place he is learning it at.
    Last week we caught the end of an adult class, and I was inspired by these women - my age and older - who seemed so empowered by what they were doing. Kind of thinking of giving it a try, myself!
    Congrats again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an amazing feeling that must be! Congratulations! There is nothing like self-contentment!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! Can't wait to see that belt!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG!!!! I am so proud of you! Congratulations - it's so great to see all of your hard work pay off, nasty cold or not. Way to set a great example for Team Testosterone!

    ReplyDelete
  9. CONGRATS! After giving birth to 3 wonderful boys, I'm sure you were mentally prepared for anything... a mom's gotta be.

    Way to go! You rock!

    -Abby

    ReplyDelete
  10. You amaze me - congratulations! Can I send you a list of people now whose butts need to be kicked?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pfft, I KNEW you could do it! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well done! Am worn out just reading that!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Woo Hooooooooo!!! You GO Green Girl!! ;) I'm in total awe - and please don't kick my ass if I ever get on your bad side. tee hee. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, that sounds grueling. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those kids who were crying? See, all they needed was someone to yell, "Don't worry honey, think of that beer that's waiting for you at home!" It got YOU through all right, huh?

    Congratulations, Green Black Belt Girl! Can't wait to see picture!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yay you!!!! Congrats Green Girl with a Black Belt!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good friend Nicole here just has to tell everyone: Green Girl rocked!! She kept her cool and did soooo well! I was so impressed and proud of her!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are truly an inspiration--to your boys and to us!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You RULE

    and

    Are too kewl!!!

    Congrats!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Whoo-hoo! You are the best. And I'm proud to know you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Cheers! I'll raise a glass of wine to your black belt; I'm all out of New Glarus at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congrats on the Black Belt!!! Love Fat Squirrel! We just made a trip up to New Glarus last weekend to stock up ;) their new place is so neat!

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.