Thursday, November 12, 2009

before driving miss daisy

Mr. T has a spelling list and typically, there appears to be little rhyme or reason to it. Three words ended with -tion--"section" and "mention" and "solution." To instill the lesson of -tion, which came as a bit of a revelation to my son and caused him much frustration, I used our internet connection and looked up an old favorite on You Tube--remember the "tion tion tion tion" song? "It's the last word in pollution!"

Empowered with his education on the widespread use of -tion, Mr. T could spell all kinds of words. "Creation!" "Execution!" "Motion!" "Rotation!"

Pleased with my explanation, I noticed another old favorite from Electric Company. With affection I clicked, thinking of my childhood with gratifcation. I was six again, long hair braided on either side of a straight part, bell bottomed legs swinging in the air as I lay on my tummy across a bean bag. Easy Reader began to speak and my jaw dropped as I uttered an exclamation.





15 comments:

  1. Yep! Isn't that awesome?! He may be more famous for playing God or the president, but I'll always love him best for Easy Reader.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh. Emm. Gee. I had NO idea. My mind is officially blown today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am still partial to the School House Rock Videos...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh mah holy hell, I just zoomed right back to fourth grade.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My girls could relate to the clip better than me! They both have CDs of 'School House Rock' in their cars. I just found the songs in a little book format!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was in high school. It was the
    70's. That Groovy Guy looks like some people I knew back then!

    It's kind of like seeing Samuel L Jackson on PeeWee's Playhouse when my kids were young.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Crap. I'm in class and can't play it (um, I'm a really good teacher, btw).

    I'll come back!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We're dancing all over the kitchen here. Revolutionary!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My mom was the first one in our family to realize that he had been on Electric company. I remember Driving Miss Daisy, and everyone in our family saying, "but he looks so familiar..."

    We couldn't put our finger on where, exactly, we'd seen him before.

    Then mom remembered, and it was like a V-8 moment.

    Of course! Electric Company!

    - Julia

    ReplyDelete
  10. Color me speechless, I had no idea. Of course I was...um..a bit...um...older than you when Electic Company was on the air.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wish that show was still on--I used to think it was so cool! xoxo

    SC

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG! I had no idea Morgan Freeman was Easy Reader. What a blast from the past.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Holy cow. I loved Electric Company! But I totally don't remember this. :(

    ReplyDelete
  14. Electric Company rocks! I also didn't know Morgan Freeman was on that show.
    Thanks for the blast from the past. :)

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.