Thursday, November 19, 2009

lessons learned from Philippa Gregory and a biker named Clay

Ambition is a heavy burden. When you're willing to sacrifice everything for power, wealth, fame, eventually you'll have to ante up. I adored The White Queen by Philippa Gregory, although I was more than a little repulsed by Elizabeth Woodville's ambition. I understood it to a degree--when you are at the top of the food chain, you have to stay there to protect your children and your family. When that life is all you know, slipping from your position can be a scary thing.


If I had to live in England during the middle ages, I'd prefer to be low nobility--not a peasant because I'd hate to be at the whim and mercy of my landowner and not at the top of the heap because you never know when somebody's going to try to kill you or strip you of your title and wealth through a cunningly arranged marriage or a declaration of war on your turf. Baroness or Viscountess would be the safest bet. All that political intrigue and jockeying for position and favor is fascinating reading, but I wouldn't want to live it.

Likewise, this show has taught me that I'd be a crummy biker gang member, drug lord or arms dealer. The stress would kill me. I have to believe their average life expectancy is 40. Yep, no chance I'm leaving the safety of my quiet country acreage to become an outlaw. No matter how hot I might look in leather chaps.

9 comments:

  1. I just discovered Sons of Anarchy last weekend. LOVE IT!!! I watched 4 episodes in a row on Sunday. lol I need to find the first season on DVD (just can't sit in front of the computer to watch it on Hulu...just can't do it) so I see every blessed minute.

    I love every single character but Opie has grabbed my heart - big, bad bear of a man with a big, squishy heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried reading a Philippa Gregory book and couldn't get through it. Should I try this one? I think i should.... putting it on my list...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm catching up on the last 2 weeks. Katey Sagal needs to win an Emmy award.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the thought of living in olden England - not the reality of what it would have been :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. GreenGirl, I have blue blood, and a really really cool family tree. When Edward IV died, he had no immediate heir and all of my ancestors began to kill one another. They would invent battles and send young men off to fight larger numbers, knowing they would all be killed. If they refused to fight, they were executed for treason. Whole generations of men on the family tree died young, and it's all documented: "killed in battle. Executed, treason. Excommunicated." Horrible! Of course, the young ladies were quickly married off to whichever cousin stood closest to the throne, and millions of pounds were spent. Meanwhile in France, the other side of the family were eating cake and cutting off one another's heads.

    Escaping to the colonies was a good move! It's why we are alive today. Let them have the throne! Exciting stuff, I tell you, and I still have aunts who dream of claiming back the titles and lands of long ago. You'd have to be filthy rich though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Read "The Queen's Fool". Jewsish girl hiding as a boy in Catherine of Aragon's court. Fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  7. that analogy of pb&j and ponies was funny.....

    and thanks for another great looking book to read! my card expired at the library and I'm going nuts trying to find something to read worthwhile....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmm. I haven't read that one. It's now on my To Read list. When I think of living in that time, my mind always drifts to how much I'd miss daily hot showers. And how much I hate mice. I wonder what that means about me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Dear! Thanks for stopping by the other day. I haven't gotten to the newest Gregory but have been working on Wideacre in my spare time ~ ha! Hope all is well and Happy Thanksgiving to you!

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.