Monday, November 23, 2009

Part I--take for granted

Deer hunting was a success. Mr. T had a blast, insisting on going out both mornings and Saturday afternoon . He wanted to go again Sunday afternoon but Mr. D had had enough. And football needed watching. Mr. D was pleased to only see squirrels, which meant he didn't have to kill anything but that also resulted in some disappointment because the while excitement of deer hunting comes from actually seeing a deer. Did you follow all of that? And, no surprise here, Mr. T discovered that cold canned food actually tastes horrible. We could've told him that, but we didn't want to rain on his parade. Conversely, the giant man's breakfast at Rico's with his dad was fantastic (eggs, toast, hash browns, cheese curds). Chest thumping and male bonding complete.

Because they were up at the butt-crack of dawn, my men were asleep by 7:00 both nights this weekend--which meant it was almost like being home alone. I read, wrote and enjoyed total control over the remote which meant the TV? Was OFF. Utter silence for hours. Bliss, I tell you.

I'm thankful for all of the above, but WAIT! There's MORE! This week to celebrate the upcoming Holiday (Thanksgiving, for those of you paying attention to the calendar and not to the sales flyers and television commercials) every post will be an attitude of gratitude. One hundred Things I'm Thankful For. But I'm putting up 20 a day because 100 is a LOT.
Thankful List--20 things I take for granted every day:

1. A swell husband.
2. Healthy kids.
3. A ready supply of clean water.
4. Momvan--always runs.
5. My health.
6. Our family's wealth.
7. Good food to eat--and plenty of it.
8. Safe environment, no crime, no war, no violence, not even occasional graffiti.
9. A church that feeds us spiritually, and the freedom to worship.
10. Internet connection.
11. Soft, warm, comfortable place to sleep every night.
12. Dependable electricity.
13. Access to health care.
14. Butter.
15. Honesty.
16. Good behavior. Good manners (only deplored when lacking).
17. Plenty to laugh at and about.
18. Privacy.
19.
Awesome neighbors--friendly, helpful, fun, nice people live near us.
20. Something to wear (even when it feels like nothing, I at least have options).

Spill it, reader, what do you take for granted?

10 comments:

  1. I am really thankful for Kleenex tissues- What was life like before those were invented? And soft toilet paper. My dad always said life is too short not to eat real butter or use soft toilet paper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thankful for the ability to house, feed, and clothe my children.

    I'm thankful for a husband who works hard to provide for us, which will be vital if I lose my job in the near future.

    I'm thankful for good friends, especially the ones I've met online.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am thankful for great children and grandchildren. Having good health is also wonderful at my age.

    ReplyDelete
  4. cheese curds? cheese curds? did you say cheese curds? oh, how i love cheese curds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm, butter.
    Great list, and a good exercise to find 100 things. I take a lot of small conveniences for granted. Everything I need is nearby, and I don't have to fight traffic or bad weather to get it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't it great to have the privileges we take for granted? My middle-class existence is really quite privileged.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Today it was the ocean--practically on my doorstep.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely idea. I'm thankful for warm socks, right out of the dryer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great public transportation just outside our door, space in a city that is big enough for a family of four, music, and my quiet husband who loves to make lists and get things done...to name just a very few things!

    ReplyDelete
  10. All of the above. And WINE! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.