Friday, December 18, 2009

holiday home tour '09

Tis the season to be jolly, and that jolly Jen on the Edge has devised Holiday Home Tour '09. Welcome to Chez Green Girl, friends!


Our countdown began Dec. 1st--Mr. G faithfully puts a new ornament on the tree each day--in perfect order because he is a fastidious boy when it comes to things like this.


I never met a snowman I didn't like--especially the homemade kind.


I really really like snowmen.


Really, really, really.


I like shepherds too. You can read more about them at The Women's Colony.


Our Christmas cards displayed for everyone to read.

We decorate our tree with all kinds of ornaments--the only rhyme or reason is that our favorites were made by people we love.

To the uninitiated, that would seem like a lot of tinsel. To Mr. D, that's not tinsel-y enough and he'd happily gob on another 2 boxes of the stuff. When it comes to tinsel, there seems to be no happy medium. It's more polarizing than Sarah Palin. But let's not talk politics. There's more to see!


Mr. D saw this KMart commercial where the lady and her mom decorated the house for the holidays--with a LOT of glass and swag and other fussy ribbony/shiny/breakable stuff. He wanted me to do that to our house. After I finished guffawing, I gave him this centerpiece--glass balls in a decorative bowl his sister gave me years ago. It seemed to please him enough that I could stop there with the faux greenery and glass decorations. Not that there's anything wrong with that look, it's just so breakable and we live with 3 boys who break everything.


Yes, yes we have many pinecones.


I have a box full of the kids' Christmas craft projects, collected over the years. This year I decided to display them above the French doors going into the library. A length of ribbon, two nails and many clothespins did the trick pretty well.


I hung MORE kid crafts above the playroom entrance. I'm happy to report that Team Testosterone is busy making EVEN MORE holiday art at school as I type this.


The view from up here is my favorite.

Merry Christmas!

30 comments:

  1. I love that last view too - and your red berry wreath! But kids crafts are the very best decorations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your home looks beautiful! Snowmen and shepherds are my faves too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your tree with tinsel! The hubs **FROWNS** on tinsel but it reminds me of my childhood trees. And the kid's decorations are wonderful--we don't have children, hence all the breakable swag and such. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. *happy sigh*

    I love what you've done. It's all so festive and cheery and kid-friendly.

    But you know what really struck me? The wreaths and pinecones on your coat rack. It's just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I love the cranberry wreath and the kids homemade art. Beautiful way to celebrate. I still need to do my cards. Maybe this weekend. It's the bizzzz-E-ust time of the year :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. No rhyme or reason to our tree decor either - that's the best way! And tell you husband Breakable + Children + Christmas = Too Much Stress For Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So pretty! And you have a beautiful home too. :)
    I LOVE snowmen. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE all the home-made crafts! I'd say at least a third of the ornaments on our tree were made by the girls over the years at school and daycare.

    I'm a tinsel person. My ex was not. We compromised by getting reusable tinsel from Lee Valley Tools, they are twisted strips of tin (I think) that catch the lights and really sparkle.

    I like the pinecone wreaths on the coatrack. I'd like to do that, but the hooks on my coat rack like that are buried under 265 coats, snowpants, sweaters, hats,etc.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I giggled out loud when I saw all that tinsel on your tree. Thanks so much for the tour! :)

    I love trees full of ornaments that are each one a treasure. Or a memory. Decorator trees are lovely, but they fail to bring on the Merry.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it! I totally dig the tinsel too--brings me down memory lane. I also have a thing for snowmen! :-) Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That last view is definitely the best! I think I'll be "borrowing" your idea for hanging up the kids crafts. Simple and stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it! Your home is beautiful ... and even with the tinsel (which I know you adore), your tree is gorgeous. Lucky you have a good source of homemade Christmas decorations, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love how you did the kids' art! I just might have to steal that idea!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your crafts. Tinsel -- more polarizing than Palin. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I always love looking at the decorations from different rooms. I like the shiny.

    ReplyDelete
  16. "More polarizing than Sarah Palin" hee hee. I like the view from above.

    ReplyDelete
  17. [url=http://hopresovees.net/][img]http://bariossetos.net/img-add/euro2.jpg[/img][/url]
    [b]filemaker pro 6, [url=http://bariossetos.net/]windows vista wallpaper[/url]
    [url=http://bariossetos.net/][/url] to buy oem software medical office billing software
    buy dreamweaver student [url=http://vonmertoes.net/]pirated software shop[/url] buy cheap software coupon
    [url=http://bariossetos.net/]discount software discount[/url] Software PC
    [url=http://vonmertoes.net/]anti virus software to buy[/url] software store products
    filemaker pro consulting job [url=http://bariossetos.net/]buy discounted software[/b]

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great way to hang the kids Christmas art--it all looks so homey.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your house. It looks so cozy and warm.

    YAY! Snowmen!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am so relieved that mine aren't the only boys who break everything! Beautiful decor---i am more of a realist...not big on the glass and fluff (it'll just break and its more to dust).

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love it! Maybe I need to make time for a home tour, too. I'm feeling overwhelmed with basic life right now; the house is a total mess. A festive, mess, but a mess.

    ReplyDelete
  22. We both love snowmen!! Yeah for us! And I love the way you displayed all of your kiddos crafts....I have so many as well...next year I will borrow this idea too!...oh, and I love Santa's hat on the rack :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I agree: the view from above is best (don't tell, but maybe it's because it minimizes the tinsel effect...um, NOT THAT YOU CAN EVER HAVE TOO MUCH TINSEL). Fun tour, you Snowman Obsessed Queen.

    ReplyDelete
  24. It all looks terrific! Have yourself a merry little Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you for the sneak peak of your home ~ it's wonderful! My decor has been pretty pitiful this year so no photos. As for those pine cones, we've been collecting them and are planning to spray the tips/ends with glue and sprinkling glitter on them, attaching a thread for hanging and using them on the tree. My SIL does this as a class project in her AZ 5th grade and the kids love it; we've supplied our share of Midwest Pine Cones for them. I'm also thinking of making pine cone people with the really big ones but haven't figured out where to start with that project. There's always 2010 right!

    ReplyDelete
  26. We provide professional assistance with the search and buying of your property in Turkey and guide you through your Turkey property purchase process. Our extensive knowledge of Turkish property market, coupled with timely intelligence supplied by our local offices in Turkey help us provide objective and independent information on property Turkey.

    Regards.
    http://www.propertyturkeyforsale.com

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.