Tuesday, December 15, 2009

snowy walk in the woods

Mr. G and I took a walk in the woods Sunday. We both needed a little peace, quiet and nature therapy. The snow was deep and muffled everything.

Nothing compares to the stillness of a snowy woods.


Giant trees stood like sentinels all around us. Somewhere above a few birds sang to each other, but we were hard pressed to see them.


We did see traces of summer songbirds in the bare branches.

We walked through our neighbor's property and saw he'd cut down some trees.

Mr. G gives you some sense of how big those trees were--and how very old.

A LOT of logs and brush lay all over the clearing. We have no idea what he's planning to do back here. I glimpsed him heading into the Back Forty--hard to miss him since his entire body was clad in blaze orange. Since he was carrying a gun and obviously intent on hunting, we skipped our tour of the Back Forty.

After a while we flopped down to rest and make some snow angels.

Then we returned home following a deer trail that took us through brush impassable during the summer months. This tree marks the edge of our property and the turning point towards hot chocolate, a fireplace and a game of Connect Four.

20 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos...and so much snow! Looks like a challenging walk.

    How do those little songbirds survive the cold? Makes me want to sew them little hats and scarves.

    Sad to see all those big trees cut down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pictures, especially the one looking straight up at the trees. Beautiful. Sometimes I forget that a winter walk can be lovely. I'll try to get out there more...

    ReplyDelete
  3. My boys are in AWE of all your snow! Send some for us, they say!

    ReplyDelete
  4. lovely. peaceful winter walks are hard to beat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's all so beautiful. And what a handsome young companion you had with you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know what's funny. You are such a great writer I could actually hear the still silence of a snow covered forest-I love that sound. Nothing, my mind is finally at peace. So glad you captured that! xoxo

    SC

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for this lovely moment of serenity.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The looking-up-at-the-trees photo is awesome. I can't believe I'm able to compliment you, though, after you've just rubbed my nose in how much snow y'all have. We're at the frustrating point of "seems snowy here, but not enough to ski on." Bummer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How awesome and what fabulous photos!! I love the one looking up into the trees. I have one in my shop that my son took like that of giant redwoods and it has always been a favorite of mine. Your photo is just wonderful. Thanks for the walk!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So beautiful. I am absolutely jealous. I miss real snow like that. Thank you for sharing it even if just in photos.

    -Abby

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was hoping you'd share some photos of your snow out there!!! I looooooove to walk in the woods in the snow!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely time--and how lovely you'll have this record of your day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like a great day. I love the peace of snow. And Connect Four. I really, really love Connect Four.

    ReplyDelete
  14. ah, so lovely. and i love how visible nests are-even tiny ones--once the leaves have dropped. you suddenly see them everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been waiting for these - thank you! It was 60 here on Monday and I had daydreams about your snow. Now I have the pictures to go with it the next time it gets crazy warm here!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hot cocoa, fireplace, and connect four: priceless.

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.