Tuesday, December 29, 2009

starters and sad endings

Team Testosterone had buddies sleep over last night--only one ended up heading home (thankfully at the civilized hour of 11:00 p.m., shortly before Jay Cutler finished defeating Brett Favre--poor old man quarterback couldn't handle the cold). A brave little 6-year-old, he wasn't quite ready for a full night commitment. I've met his type before, but he'll end up okay, he's young still. Mr. G was already unconscious and snoring in his sleeping bag and awoke this morning searching for his friend. He seems okay with only having half a sleep over.

In the midst of the drop off yesterday afternoon, the phone rang. Our favorite babysitter who started college last year--a responsible, lovely girl who took excellent care of Team Testosterone for years. I thought it was a social call--to set up a visit to our family while home on break. She called to tell me her dad died. They were up north and he and her sister were in a Gator driving across the lake. The Gator went through the ice. Her dad kicked through the window and pushed her sister to safety. She pulled him out of the water, but he died at the hospital.

He was a kind man who took his grandson fishing and doted on his kids. He brought my sons to the car races one night and spoiled them silly. My heart breaks for this family, a wife who adored him, daughters who realized what a great dad they'd landed. That cottage Up North where they spent many happy weekends is now a place of such horrible sadness. Christmas will always carry the taint of losing him.

Sometimes a person dies and you know their family will be okay, there's enough glue to hold the rest together. Sometimes you worry there's not enough glue.


12 comments:

  1. oh my........you just never know do you....someone else's blog I read, her friend was shot! murdered! for nothing -

    it really is hard to hear of things like that - i got chills after i read your story......like my power outage was something big I overcame....blah......no it was not....losing someone - oh my - that's just terrible for us here on earth still isn't it?

    power outages and ice storms put life differently, not spiritually though, but death - that puts it into perspective....

    they'll be included in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No. That is horrible.

    That should not happen -- ever -- to any family. My heart breaks for your young friend. I will keep her and her sister and her mom in my prayers, too.

    - Julia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh , how horrible for them. I am so sorry to hear that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so sad. Ice really freeks me out. My husband ice fishes and he thinks I'm just paranoid. If he is at all late I get really mad at him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a tragedy. I hope they come through it okay.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so sorry. My heart breaks for this family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sigh. My best to your family and theirs. Death is tuff and un-expected death is the worst. It's been a little over a year for our family and we are still in the fog as I call it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is just so sad. Sometimes life just doesn't make a lot of sense...and then you have to pick up the pieces and keep going. You and your friends are in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, no - I hope this family has the glue to stay together.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh that is so tragic! I'll be praying for this family...sometimes events like this build the glue to stick together.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just read the story in the paper today...yes I am behind reading the paper as well...it's year-end, enough said. I wondered if you knew them. It is so sad and unfair. Why is it always the good guys?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for sharing so that we can add these good people to our prayers. I'm so sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.