Friday, January 15, 2010

we're getting veeeeery sleeeeepy

This morning Mr. B has an EEG and to prepare for that he has to be sleep deprived. I took the night shift, which wasn't bad since Mr. B's a night owl by nature. We watched videos, played games, did a puzzle, ate some ice cream. At midnight he went to bed. The deal was for Mr. D to wake him at 5:00--the harder end of this bargain. Naturally he overslept and didn't wake Mr. B until 6:00--he's still pretty tired, though, and I'm hoping tired enough for today's test. I'm tired enough for today's test.

When is a tic just a tic? Hard to say.


Not this kind of tick.

Mr. B started having facial tics about a month or two ago. These are more common in boys, and often "just a phase." We haven't made much of it, but we have one son with an Absence Seizure Disorder and facial tics are one side effect. We've also noticed Mr. B occasionally "zoning out," which isn't unusual behavior for a 7-year-old boy, but Mr. T's seizure disorder is genetic which means we have a good shot at having another child with the same disorder. And (bonus!) boys get the seizure disorder 4 times the rate of girls. We have all boy children. This isn't our first rodeo. (Darn, that saying sounds much cooler than it looks typed here.) The EEG determines whether Mr. B is having seizures. Or not. Preferably not.

It was upsetting to learn about Mr. T's seizures--scary and we still don't have any guarantees that he'll outgrow them someday. It has disrupted life for him in a lot of ways. But we know the treatment options, we have health insurance, we like our family doctor and the pediatric neurologist is a fairly decent sort, too. We have resources to diagnose and treat this disease.

I'd still prefer to hear the tic is just a tic. Stay tuned.

Our sense of humor here is still intact.

24 comments:

  1. Thinking of you and praying for "just a tic" news. I can't even imagine but know that you'll handle it either way. Hold his hand, Mama and I'll hold yours from across the country.

    -Anby

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Hopefully whatever it is it can be treated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh boy. I'll be thinking of you today and hoping that things go well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll send postive thoughts that "a tic is just a tic".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you have your sense of humor and hoping it all works out well for your family!

    And I know what you mean about the rodeo statement--I used that sentence just recently, looked back at it and thought...that's just cool. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thinking and praying that all will be well with Mr. B!! You have a good support "system" and I know you will handle what you have to.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know I've said this before, but I had a seizure disorder (petit mal epilepsy) and after several years on Dilantin I just outgrew it. I don't know how common that is, but I hope it happens for your boys.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A neighbor's daughter had that seizure disorder where you don't even realize it - it just seemed like she was spacy and not paying attention in class. She's in college now and driving and all, no problem.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll be thinking positive thoughts. I hope it goes well. Keep us updated.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My oldest had a tic for the entire 2nd grade. It was disconcerting, but it did pass.

    About a month after it disappeared, he developed a stutter on initial consonants. We just looked at both things as a sign of stress and tried to be as reassuring as possible. By the end of this past summer, the stutter was gone, too. (Thank goodness!)

    I'm praying that you have good news and it's Just A...

    Good luck. - Julia

    ReplyDelete
  11. All my digits are crossed for you and yours on this. It's scary, indeed. Our neighbor boy had some pretty substantial phases of big tics, and he has outgrown them. They got worse with fatigue and stress (like his dad making fun of him for them; LONG STORY, but divorce papers have been filed), but now he's pretty much tic free.

    All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Prayers for Mr. B and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Damn!

    Sending good vibes. My friend's daughter has the same "zoning out" type seizure, and it was a relief to diagnose it and begin treatment. She'd been "asleep" at school and missing out! How strange the human mind is. What do you suppose is going on in there when they are not 'here'? I've often wondered.

    Crossing fingers and toes...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hugs to you. Amigo has a mild tic disorder, and the meds for his anxiety help minimize those. With all of his other issues, it's often hard to know if he's "ticking" or self-stimming or, well, or what? (I always want to choose the "or what" option)

    ReplyDelete
  15. My nephew has(d) epilepsy as a kid he had grand mal seizures. I remember very vividly because I was with him when he had his first one.

    But he outgrew it. So there's always hope.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Buddy Budderson outgrew his... hold on to your ride and keep an eye out for the rodeo clowns, it's bound to get better.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Praying that all went well today for the poor little guy! Keeping things up beat helps in those situations...we're big fans of The Tick here ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I hope all goes well. It's so hard when children have health problems isn't it? Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thinking good thoughts for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I hope the tests went well with conclusive results either way. My thoughts and prayers are with you. I have no idea what you are dealing with, but it sounds scary.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thinking of you and your sweet boys.

    And really? I thought you sounded cool when you said this isn't your first rodeo.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sending positive vibes your way. I hope the test is easy and results are exactly what you want them to be.
    I'm cheering you on!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  23. Over here hoping for a tic.
    You're good to remember that you have the resources at hand to deal well with it if it isn't just a tic...but I'll still hope for a tic!

    ReplyDelete
  24. hope all went well with the EEG.. praying and thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.