Monday, January 4, 2010

yes, i mocked this incessantly

This morning I shoved the tree out the back door with relish. And a side of cole slaw. Badum-bum. I need a little space around me and my nighttime xc-skiing isn't doing it for me. I don't mind the cold, but all the stuff acquired in the past week does overwhelm a girl--even a girl with a strict "Equal mass in, equal mass out" Policy. Getting a 12-foot tree out of the middle of our house helps my state of mind a lot. I swept up a pile of needles the size of Mr. G's head. No kidding.


Our Iowa Christmas (a slam-bam, thank you, ma'am trip since we had the funeral visitation first thing Saturday morning, followed by a 5 hour journey to D's sister's house where the party went strong until midnight) was pretty nice. The children got gifts they'll play with, things they like (more Nerf weaponry for their arsenal, games, bows and arrows). They got some new clothes and savings bonds. Mr. D and I each got a gift card from his mom which suits us perfectly. Mr. D's sister made a divine brisket and all the fixings--I'm the heaviest I've been since last winter. Two days of doing nothing but sitting in cars and living rooms and eating like the Apolcalypse is upon us has me feeling restless and sloppy.

The best part was the Pirate Game (AKA "Dirty Santa" in some circles). Years ago the adults agreed to stop exchanging gifts and bring a $25 gift to play. What a blast! Some years the game gets over fast because there's nothing too great on the table. This year set a record for steals--every gift got stolen at least once and my gift wasn't one of the worst ones out there (rare). In fact, it's safe to say my gift (homemade applesauce & raspberry jam, wool dryer balls, cheese from the factory up the road and the best Blue Cheese salad dressing you've ever encountered) was a hit. At the end of the game (which ended with a stunning move by my brother-in-law who took his own gift off the table and thus ended play for the year) Mr. D had a package of frozen steaks and pork chops. I had a stack of Godiva chocolates and nuts and a bottle of Irish Cream. We felt pretty satisfied, although I had lusted after a pair of pink striped socks (that came with a pink ribbon golf towel, pink Hawkeyes T-shirt and something else). My mother-in-law got the socks et al.

Yesterday morning as we packed to leave her house, she told me she'd 'stolen' the gift for me. So there we stood in her kitchen making the final swap of the Pirate Game--she took the chocolate, nuts and Irish Cream. I got the socks, golf towel, T-shirt and...
But let me explain! Mr. G is a blanket hog and the steals all the blankets out of the basket by the couch and they end up in his bed. I have to go upstairs twice a week to bring down our blankets and throws from his giant bed/nest. He won't touch a pink blanket with a 10-foot pole, so now I'll always have a blanket in the evening when I want to read or watch TV. Pink = untouchable in a house full of boys, so by owning the pink Snuggie I have warmth and comfort whenever I want.
Last night I sat on the couch giving the pink Snuggie a trial run. Mr. G came up to me, wanting to sit on my lap and snuggle. Aha! The Snuggie prevented him getting too cozy because he couldn't figure out how to get under it and still sit on my lap. There he struggled, stymied by the blanket with arms. But the best part? One size of Snuggie fits all--even moms with little boys on their laps.

22 comments:

  1. Oh my, that is very pink.

    And once again great minds think alike. I am in the process of writing a post on Snuggies for later this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah but have you seen that sleeping bag/ body pillow thing? saw the ad this morning on t.v...

    last time i was on a business trip my husband bought the boys snuggies.

    i fear what happens next time i leave town.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Missed your blog! Glad you had a great Christmas and I know you will have a Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do wish our relatives would turn Christmas gift exchanges into a game. That game sounds like WAY more fun than our current method of gift exchange.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's funny... a snuggie being a coveted gift! Glad it works out for you. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been known to spray paint things pink to keep the men in the house from "borrowing" them: Like the handles of scissors!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a solution to the blanket hog--I have a son just like yours and I have to refill my basket just as you do.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hate when it comes to taking down the Christmas tree- I LOVE turning on the lights first thing in the morning. I will miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. pink? never would have guessed :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pirate Game? Dirty Santa? You must explain ... I had something else in mind when you uttered Dirty Santa. Don't judge ... just saying ...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Too funny. You always make me laugh.
    Our snuggie is blue--and we LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like you had a great time and what awesome gifts! Love the pink Snuggie!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The pink Snuggie -- fabulous! We have a game like that at our post-holiday party for my school. Imagine a bunch of teachers arguing and stealing each other's white elephant gifts (they're not supposed to have value), and you can imagine our party. This year I'm offering up a fondue pot, never opened.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dang. you got a Snuggie. I have secretly been wanting one. I confess. I mean, it looks so cozy. You know.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I say reading is a cozy time not a fashion show.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I took my tree down this weekend and keep thinking that my living room is now HUGE. It almost makes me feel like there's room in the house for my gut, which is especially hearty after my own trip to Iowa.

    Love the tale of your gift exchange ... and the pink Snuggie!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love Pink. For a similar reason I got a pink cell phone so my boys wouldn't be caught borrowing it.

    So glad you survived the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  18. LOL. I am jealous. If I had something pink it would be more likely to be stolen and there's really no colour that turns my girls off enough to keep their grubby hands off my stuff.

    This snuggie phenomemon is everywhere. My sister bought one for her dog when she was visiting my mom in San Diego because the dog was cold. I'm not really sure it's responsible for people to breed dogs that need snuggies to keep warm even in San Diego, but I digress.

    ReplyDelete
  19. LOL I saw that you too gave wool dryer balls as a gift. I bought all mine from a mom at www.woolDryerBalls.com and gave them out as gifts this year. I have 6 that I bought from her over a year ago and they are still doing their great job in my dryer!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the head-sized pile of needles - you can KEEP the Snuggie!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the pink stories! As you could probably guess, pink wouldn't work for me. Ms. J's room is pink and I may keep it that way until she is 25 to keep the boys out now that I'm hearing it is such a repellant! Ms. B is a blanket hog also. She and Mr. G would get along fabulously since many of hers are pink (or fight over the non-pink ones). I thought if I got a red WI Badger snuggie I could keep it on the couch b/c the hubby would approve and the girls wouldn't be interested. WRONG...it has also mysteriously disappeared. It seems there is no color that will work for me.

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.