Tuesday, February 2, 2010

groundhog day

Six more weeks of winter, people. Or six weeks until spring, depending on how you look at it. Things are dire, no two ways about it. Last night I actually slept in my Pepto-Bismo pink Snuggie beneath all the blankets on my bed. I didn't overheat until 2:30 in the morning--things are cold. The warmest place I've found is the wrestling room where Mr. T goes a couple times a week--I'm almost willing to overlook the smell, the heat up there feels that good.

Why it's so cold that Mr. B is trying to grow a beard and a mustache to keep his face warm when he goes outside.


A bright spot this winter are the birdfeeders behind our back patio. The budgie birds adore our feeders and we even get visits from some cardinals and woodpeckers. I sit with my binoculars and bird book watching them. Endless fun. They're so entertaining that I don't even mind trudging out every Saturday to refill the feeders.


They're bravely coming up to the patio lately. Hop hop hop they jump around and peck at the ground all fat and feathered.


I want to pick them up in my hands and bring their plump little budgie bodies in the house...but then Violet would make a quick snack out of them.

As if budgie birds weren't adorable enough to take the sting out of February, I did find this, too!


16 comments:

  1. I remembered the words to the Gidget theme song! I used to watch the reruns occasionally when I was a kid.

    And we have the same patio table! Target??

    ReplyDelete
  2. We keep bird feeders outside our dining room window and love to watch the chickadees. Haven't seen "Gidget" in years - fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can't beat the Gidg! I don't know why it feels soooo stinkin cold...it should feel balmy compared to a couple of weeks ago! Last night I was freezing, 2 pairs of socks and a blanket while watching Chuck..Jim was working so I didn't have a butt to tuck my feet under!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If Mr. B is successful with that beard and mustache, I hope you'll post photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I live in Texas so I realize my cold is nothing compared to your neck of the woods. We have had cold weather for us this year and it makes me really love my hot yoga class. I have been getting there a bit early so I can just lay in the hot room for a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh that was great. I forget about shows like that. She was so darn cute! I love watching the bird too. They are so cute. I know so many people that hate the squirrels, but let me tell you....they are so fun to watch!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well it warmed up enough to give us a couple inches of new snow today. I thought I'd never say this but I was kinds glad to get fresh snow; the gray/yellow/brown snow/dirt was really looking pretty gross.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really truly love the change of seasons, even winter. But it can go now. Really it can.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had to convince my 4th graders that we always have at least 6 more weeks of winter, regardless of what the groundhog says. Am I the spoiler? The Grinch? Maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That must be some cold to make a wrestling room attractive!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is soooo pretty but I know I'm tired of it after a weekend

    ReplyDelete
  12. She's so cute!
    And so are your birdies. Maybe the birdsong will encourage you. Spring is coming...one day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so over winter. Well, ok, I was over winter before it ever started, but still...

    Cold at night? I have two words for you: Bed Buddy. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow. If I lived where it was that cold I'd be all set with the beard, thanks to menopause. TMI. Sorry.

    Even here in San Diego, we love our Snuggies.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thankfully, much of Texas doesn't get all that cold. Which means many of its citizens have no tolerance for temperatures at or below freezing. (The mere whisper of ice causes a runn on milk and bread at the grocer's.) I keep telling myself that the current chill is practically a heat wave compared to a couple of weeks ago!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I used to LOVE Gidget. Funny.

    I thought we were having a pretty mild winter as far as Wisconsin goes. Still kinda stinks though. Is it spring yet?????

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.