Thursday, February 18, 2010

pretty things

I've been meaning to post some of my pretty things, lest you all think it's mud-grubbing, light-saber-rattling, ball-chucking, steel-toed, testosterone-infused boyness around here. I have a few carefully placed fragile (must be Italian!) knick-knacks that I haven't donated to the thrift shop (because I mostly think knick-knacks are annoyances to dust).
Behold!

These came from my paternal grandmother. I remember seeing them in her house throughout my childhood and when she died, no one wanted them. They now sit in my bathroom, the one on the left holds shells gathered at the sea, the one on the left holds some matches.

From my maternal grandmother--this little sweetie was made in "Occupied Japan." Interesting.
She sits in my living room on a high shelf where Nerf darts or baseballs cannot knock her down.

I bought this creamer at Kylemore Abby in Ireland years ago--those are foxgloves painted on the front. Someday I hope to travel back and buy a complete tea set, but for now this single piece sits on a living room shelf near the goose-girl where it can't get banged around.


My BFF Sarah gave this to me on my birthday years ago. Isn't it gorgeous? I keep it on a high dresser in my bedroom storing spare change.

Yep, that's the real deal. In the library because what feels more literary than those gorgeous plates of Princess Elizabeth, her parents and a lace doily? They really class up the joint.

I've no collections, nothing of great value, but each of these possess sentiment and beauty, so I keep them safe and well-dusted.

In other news, last night I got flipped onto my back by a black belt classmate whilst grappling. The sound of my vertebrae crackling made me think of when milk is poured over a bowl of Rice Krispies. But the feeling? Was marvelous. Somehow this kid managed to achieve the same results as a chiropractor.

26 comments:

  1. So many pretty things.

    I don't have a lot of knick-knacks, but I do have a row of cobalt blue glass bottles in the window over my kitchen sink.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not much of a knick knack person either.... I do however like a good back bend during yoga class -- totally wakes up the spine..

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a great start on a collection of Wedgwood, Greens! I love the little goose girl too..."occupied Japan" is unusual...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely. I don't have too many knick-knacks myself--between the boys and my deep dislike of dusting, it works out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That teapot is just amazing. Occupied Japan is an intriguing origin, just like "Berlin, US zone" that you sometimes come across here.I like dusting. It's quiet and immediate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ugh! on your back doesn't sound fun. glad it worked for you.

    loving the plates. I have paired down most of my pretty things b/c I don't want to dust them! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was always fortunate to have a separate living room to keep my lovelies in. The rule was nothing but cards, puzzles, books and board games in that room. Kept breakage to a very bare minimum!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love antique glassware, and especially when it has some kind of family connection. So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love that first dish with the shells. Nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the teapot! I collect teapots.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very pretty things. I recall those days when nothing was safe. Soccer balls use to fly through the house like jet planes. Nothing was safe.

    Hey you saved yourself a trip to the chiro and whatever that costs these days! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh, I actually aspire to have knick knacks. I just don't want to buy them from Pottery Barn because I want them to have a story like yours do. So don't give your stuff to the thrift shop; send them to me!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, you get thrown on your back for fun. And you like it! You're awesome.

    I love your pretty things. And I can totally relate. We've always got nerf bullets flying!

    ReplyDelete
  14. ooooooohhh!! I looove all of your pretty things!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. And that flip was a very good price - much less than visiting the chiropractor ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. heirlooms are always so pretty! love these!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm glad to hear there's some estrogen among the testosterone.

    I'm not a knick-knack person either, but you gave me an idea for a future post!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I absolutely love the little "basket" in the first picture. Also, I collect funky teapots so that one appeals to me, too. The piece made in "occupied Japan" is VERY interesting just for that fact.

    Great idea, Greenie, thanks for sharing - so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love how you've "classed up the joint"! ;)

    Hope your back is still okay.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love this stuff! I used to have so many sentimental things, we had a box labeled "rotating knick knacks." I've tried to cut back since then, if only for the clutter and dust factor.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful! I love collecting and showcasing my treasures, but unfortunately have but my hunting and gathering on hiatus for the sake of paying off some debt.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm glad you have some lovely girly things to dilute some of the testosterone.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the grandmother pieces!! I like old glassware things like that.

    That BFF teapot is a-dor-a-ble. I want it!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. my house is a knick knack heaven! i love those plates!

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.