Wednesday, February 10, 2010

snow & a storm

Those Easterners, they're so darn clever with their snowstorm names. "Snowmeggedon." Heh. That's pretty funny. We called ours "Winter Storm Doug." That's just so white bread-boring in contrast.

Monday night Mr. D called from the condo in Phoenix, AZ where he's enjoying a golf vacation with his buddies. I warned him that he'd probably see a flight delay Tuesday night when he was due to return home. "We're going to get 6-9 inches here, they'll get more south of us." He was flying to Milwaukee and driving home from there. "I bet they'll shut down the airport--I'd plan on spending another night in Arizona."

"We've been watching the weather here, it doesn't look like you're going to get that much snow," he argued. (Because the forecasters in Arizona will be more accurate about Wisconsin weather than the Wisconsin forecasters, right?)

"I'm telling you, every local station is warning us about the weather--at least know it's a possibility that you'll get delayed and pack your toothbrush in your carry on bag." Sheesh, listen to your wise wife, willya?

By 3:00 yesterday he was calling to tell me that his flight was canceled. I told you so. Chicago was shut down all day, Milwaukee was shut down, every other airport on the east coast is closed, the ripple effect means he won't get on a plane until tonight. "Enjoy a nice dinner, get tee times for tomorrow and enjoy another day of vacation," I told him. I'm a supportive wife while stranded in my house because the drifts in our driveway made leaving impossible. Another wife who'd spent the last 5 days with 3 kids and the flu was on the phone with a ticket agent trying frantically to book them on an earlier flight. "Don't bother," I told Mr. D. "You'll end up spending an entire day in an airport with crabby people getting bumped and put on stand by--it's not worth it. Just come home late tomorrow night. Sure, I'll call and cancel the poker party you had planned with your buddies here in town for Wednesday night." Wife of the Year, right?

And then.

And then.

And then at 7:45 this morning he calls to chit-chat. At 7:45 when I'm helping Mr. T finish his homework, stuff Mr. B's snowpants and lunch bag into his backpack, shove everyone off to school by 8:00, the most crazy point of the day around here Mr. D calls. Cereal bowls are sloshing milk on the table, Mr. G is begging to play Star Wars Lego on the Wii, I'm tugging on my snow boots and the cat wants to be let out. At first I let the phone ring, because I just knew it was him, and he was not going to call at 7:45 because he knows that's when we're leaving for school. But we have no Caller ID, so in a moment of doubt, I picked up the receiver. After all, it could be an emergency.

"Hey!" Mr. D's voice comes booming all friendly-like into my ear.

"!"

"What? Isn't school canceled?"

"!"

Reader, I will not write here what I said to him because it would earn this blog an "R" rating. My good sportsmanship flew right out the window and I let him know it. I hung up and took the boys to school. I came home, tidied up the kitchen, set up Mr. G on the Wii and tried to call him back. Fifteen minutes after he tried calling me. He's not answering his phone.

I'm sure it's because he's golfing and not because he's pouting.

Ri-ight.


23 comments:

  1. There are definitely points in the day when one might reasonably expect one's spouse to anticipate one's needs. Especially when said spouse has been enjoying a bit of R&R while Mama willingly holds down the snow fort.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear ya! I was expecting a nice day at home...WITH my husband! (Actually, I was going to dump everything on him and go back to bed!). Then the ambulance calls started! COME on People! We live in northern ILLINOIS---6-10 inches over a 2 day period is nothing! So why were there so many roll overs?!? People stink and I didn't get my nap and now the hub is working a 24 hour shift so I can kiss my break goodbye! Whaaaa!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are such a good wife indeed. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are good. I would've suggested the same thing to my imaginary husband.
    * ; )

    Consider getting a caller ID! You'll definitely want it when your kids get a little older...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well if it makes you feel better, it's supposed to rain here in Phoenix today. So, unless he got an early tee time, he'll probably get rained out. :)

    And yes OF COURSE the Phoenix newscasters know more about the weather in other parts of the country - we're just highly optimistic about everything. hehe j/k

    ReplyDelete
  6. "!" is the funniest thing I have read in DAYS! I could use that quote so very often.

    As far as storm names go, I'm fond of the Weather Channel's current selection: February Fury. Sounds tough, doesn't it?

    Hmmmm, the more I think about it, the more I like it. I think that February Fury will be my superhero name from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So I guess I wouldn't have seen him at the function his company is hosting tonight anyway due to the poker party. You are such the good wife. Even before the "just stay another day and enjoy yourself" he was having Poker party after a week away. Wife of the year GG! Where do you get to go for your reward?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Once again you made me laugh! It was sure fun reading your account of your last 24 hours.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Too funny. :) We're on our second day of. For *really* not that much snow.

    But.. the kids are enjoying it, and I enjoyed sleeping in.

    Hope you can get out and get some cross country skiing in! Enjoy it! (During all those times you're not rushing to get out the door for school, of course!)

    - Julia

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my! I bet he couldn't wait to get home after that!
    Just so you know, I'm totally on your side with this one. ;)

    I didn't believe the weather reports for your storms either. We've been getting some wicked weather here in the Maritimes, and I figured you in the "south" (south of us, at least) would be safer. Yeah, right. Good luck. I couldn't handle being snowbound. I'll shovel our huge driveway before I get stranded by myself with a preschooler!!! And anyone who gets between me and "out of here" better watch out! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Snowed in...I feel for you. I have never, not once in my life, been snowed in. That said, I don't envy you.

    Why is it that people call right when you're hustling the kids out the door? Uncanny.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope he did the snow removal when he got home. My hubby is going away later this month and snow removal is his department. I will only do enough to get my vehicle out.

    ReplyDelete
  13. HAHA! This weather stinks. Glad you were able to pull it all together. Who would want to be in AZ when we can be in the land of snowstorms and earthquakes.................ME!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was laughing at myself for even checking the school closings this morning! No way would our locals be closed; the snow ended early enough to clear the parking lots, and we were not even delayed.
    He must have been feeling like a snowbird: any amount of snow means closures. hah!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh yea. Men have impeccable timing. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Men! HOW has their species survived this long? It's a miracle really. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. poor guy had a golfing trip with his buddies???? When's your trip???

    ReplyDelete
  18. too funny! my son still had school despite the 10+ inches we got in 'Tosa. It was great, though, because had he been home, he would have wanted to go out and play in it. And I couldn't do that with the baby...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ohhh, without a doubt. Wife of the Year!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, you are a deeply superior human specimen. I would've throttled him for even going in the first place...

    ReplyDelete
  21. "Winter Storm Doug" has a nice Midwestern ring to it. It reminds me of Bob and Doug, those two funny Canadians from the '80s.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Bejesus even the best of them can be so STUPID.

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.