Friday, February 5, 2010

state of affairs

I'm still not sick of the snow, even though it's in the air again today--fizzing around like soda bubbles before landing. Mr. B and Mr. T have taken to shoveling after school--they don't even expect to get paid. It pleases me that they're outside getting some fresh air and exercise before coming inside to do homework and have a snack.

I retrieved Mr. T from wrestling last night, he was grinning ear to ear again, face red and hair sticking up from sweating. In the car I asked him how it went, what did he learn, did he have fun. "Mom," he sighed, leaning back against the seat, "I just love wrestling. It makes me happy."

I've gone to the parochial school in town to inquire about enrolling Mr. T--I believe the smaller class sizes, more hands-on curriculum and fewer teachers will make a huge difference for him. The school goes up through 8th grade, so he'd be there until high school. Anyway, I did this without saying anything to anyone in town (aside from Mr. D), but true to small town nature, I was immediately recognized by several students there who reported back to their parents and word of our interest has spread. Last night when I picked up Mr. T a dad came up to me and said, "So I hear you're close to making a decision." I stared at him a full few seconds before registering what he meant. "Oh! Right! Yeah. We're 90% decided on what to do," I told him, marveling at the speed of our local grapevine. Will the public school find it telling that their PTA president is going to send her firstborn to the parochial school?

Mr. G has shown up regularly for snuggles since earlier this week which is nice because he feels warm against my side and I like smelling the top of his head. His addiction to Star Wars Lego on the Wii has ebbed somewhat and we're able to do other things once again. How do you all handle it when a kid is rabid about a new toy/game/activity? Do you let them play it endlessly until they tire of it or do you temper their obsession by requiring them to do other things? It's only been a week (we got the game when Mr. B traded with a buddy--he swapped Batman Lego for Star Wars Lego for a couple weeks) and I've let him play it every day, but not every evening.

Mr. B takes school so seriously. A paperback in his bag tore and he was very concerned about fixing it before bringing it back. He studies his spelling words independently and reads to himself now. I don't have to coerce him much at all, instead I get to enjoy hearing him read to me, only lending a word now and then.

Mr. D left for Arizona early this morning to golf for five days with friends. I hope he comes back more relaxed and with his head on straight. It couldn't have come at a better time.

I feel quite content, wanting for very little these days, just sitting back and savoring all the flavor of life. It's unusual for me not to feel restless by this point of winter, but I'm not climbing the walls and wailing with despair. I'm curled up with my Pepto-Bismo pink Snuggie and Mr. G reading a book, drinking my coffee, listening to the steady churn of the dishwasher, counting my blessings.


20 comments:

  1. That's one of the things I hate about small town life! Everyone all up in your koolaide! Good for you that you took your child's well being before perceptions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a lovely week on the whole, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I just love wrestling. It makes me happy." ....

    those words are music to a mother's ears.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My aunt lives in Arizona, she's been gloating about tanning her legs...

    ReplyDelete
  5. For what it's worth - our girls had wonderful success with their parochial education. I envy your lack of restlessness. I’m straining towards spring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I admitted today that I miss the WC (West Coast). It's been building for some time now ~ this is not good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it's easier to be happy in the moment, as a parent, when the kids get just that little bit older (being able to read to themselves is a HUGE life-changer). As far as using new gadgets, we have a 30-40 mins/per day of screen time rule, so they can use that time on the gadget, but then that's it. That said, the first day the new gadget comes into the house, it can be used to the heart's content.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My oldest son wrestled in kindergarten and did really well, then in first grade he wanted to quit. I miss the wrestling tournaments.

    I was playing 'Sorry' with my younger son every evening for a while there. Now its only once or twice a week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everything in moderation. However, if a new toy keeps them happy for a week non-stop, I say yahoo! That is a week I get to do something for myself..

    I like my semi-anonymous life. Parochial school worked out for the hubby's family quite well. I do laugh at your irony though. It will be the headline on the next local paper, "PTA president sends first-born to parochial school" :))

    ReplyDelete
  10. It wounds like all is well in your neck of the woods.

    The parochial school sounds like it might be a good fit for Mr. T. Good luck with that decision.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The churn of a dishwasher is comforting, too. It's a luxury, and I'm glad to have one.
    As for school choices, you also have the option of looking into charters in nearby districts. Any thoughts along that line?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good luck with your decision and I'm ready for spring. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That sounds so nice -- snuggled up and feeling content. My boys seem to go through stages with the wii -- I've had those times when it was almost impossible to drag them away from the game and then they'll go weeks without playing....I usually have them take break -- it seems to get easier as they get older.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ah, contentment - it's such a good place to be. I'm happy for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Pepto-Bismol pink snuggie...does that count as wearing your pajamas all day? If so, respect.

    ReplyDelete
  19. We limit electronic media in general. A new game would only be available on weekends. Unless it was a weekday out of school, or a birthday, or some other exception to the general rule. That tends to keep the latest big thing from turning too quickly into just some old thing, and it keeps the offspring from becoming screen zombies.

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.