Thursday, March 25, 2010

dreamgirl


Kathy over at Four Dog Day wrote this post which got me thinking about girlhood-dreams. I fervently wished I could grow up to become a back up singer in a girl group--like the Supremes or the Chiffons. I imagined how glamourous I'd be with bouffant hair and wearing color-coordinated matching satin dresses. (Nevermind that I was born in the 70's and my sense of fashion was a decade out of style.) In my dreams I was never the lead singer, but rather belting out that "ooooh-ooooh baby" harmony from my spot behind her. I knew I couldn't handle the pressure of being the lead singer, but back up? That I could do with grace and style.


We'd tour the United States, singing to packed concert halls. My girl bandmates and I would be best friends, closer than sisters, sharing make up and hairbrushes while we got ready in backstage dressing rooms together. I pretended this life while wearing an old bridesmaid dress and playing songs like "Keep Me Hanging On" over and over on our Mickey Mouse record player while singing all the different vocal parts. I'd stand on the wooden toybox to get the full effect of having to balance on a high stage behind my microphone and work on choreography.

I imagined signing my name in curly letters across our group's album covers. I'd tell the girls standing in line to meet me at record stores, "Follow your dreams! Keep trying your hardest!" I'd even co-write an occasional hit song, like "Moonlight Beach Walks and Afternoon Motorcycle Rides." (Grease and Gidget influenced my perception of cool romance.)


What happens to a dream deferred by a distinct lack of talent and timing that's 20 years late? My girl-dream begat a woman driving a tan Momvan singing along at the top of her lungs to the Glee! soundtrack. She wears a t-shirt and jeans, looking as glamourous as a toilet bowl brush, and her only audience is a 5 year old riding along in the back seat clutching at his ears begging her to "Turn it off!" (In the girl-dream, there were only lovers, no husbands, no children, and we rode around in a turquoise blue convertable.)

Spill it, reader. What was your girl-dream? All comments qualify you to win Saucy's Grand Gesture necklace and bonus ipod earrings!

16 comments:

  1. I would pretend, over and over, to be Whitney Houston singing "The Greatest Love of All", surrounded by a large group of imaginary children, due to the first line, "I believe the children are our future".

    My cousins and I would also play "Clue Club", where we would solve neighborhood mysteries. This was BEFORE we were old enough to know about Nancy Drew and friends.

    NOTE: now, a history teacher, with very little musical or sluthing talent....dreams don't always come true. But hearing me sing or my bumbling sleuthing abilities today, all worked out for the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl dreams: Ahhhhh, Loved Moondoggie and Gidget. Must mean I'm a 70's baby as well. My tough girl-dream was to be the attractive side-kick to some devilishly handsome archeologist like Harrison Ford. And my Girly-girl dream was to own Green Gables and drink raspberry cordial all day. As for my wild girl dream, well that included Tarzan and swinging in and out of a treehouse wearing... well never mind. Now I guess put those together and you have the mental me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dream didn't go past wanting to go off somewhere to college and have a Tom Cruise look-alike become my boyfriend. Lame, I know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always wanted to be Homecoming Queen. And each year when I watch the local homecoming parade...I wish..I just wish it would have been me

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought I would be a photojournalist traveling the world--the thing is, I'm more of Hilton gal than a sleeping in the bush for weeks on end with no shower facilities type of gal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, early on, I had this bizarre wish to be a mother of twelve children. OMG, I am not kidding you here. Then reality hit, and I knew that I would prefer to be a rock star. Reality. The rock world seemed to hold so much more promise than that mother thing. Ahem.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a picture of my little sister and I singing into half unrolled wrapping paper tubes wearing pj's...it had to be an old Heart record..or maybe Billy Joel..or Journey (those 3 were our favorites). Now the boys sing Journey songs while banging on the drum set and strumming their guitars! There must be something in singing ballots that draws every kid!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wanted to be a Broadway actress. Lainie Kazan, Bette Midler, Angela Lansbury - oh, how I idolized them! I starred in all of the high school productions, took dance classes and private voice lessons. I auditioned for the theater program here at the Big U but didn't prepare well and screwed it up. Horribly. Since then, I have done a bit of singing and played Mrs. Pierce in our community theater production of My Fair Lady a number of years ago.

    The other heart dream I had was to be a wife and mother. I am still hopeful that one will come true.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would be Julie Andrews, big time, only a shorter version so she wouldn't be upset with me.
    I loved "Sound of Music" and "Mary Poppins," knew (still do) the lyrics by heart. Was upset when they passed her over for Audrey Hepburn to do the movie version of "My Fair Lady," even though I like her, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, it's me, the person whose Google account hates her! Who'da thunk we had the same childhood dream! But I did have a backup plan. My dad was from NYC so I grew up on Broadway tunes so I would have been perfectly ok being a Rockette or a chorus dancer in any Broadway show. Or a ballerina.

    ReplyDelete
  11. "Glamorous as a toilet brush" Funny! My girl dream was to be a ballerina and look exactly like Suzanne Farrell. I went so far as to pay for my own ballet lessons with my babysitting money.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh that is sooooo good! I grew up in the day of the variety show....and I wanted so much to be a dancer on one of those shows. The guys always looked so cool! The closest I came to that was a dance hall girl in our high school production of Oklahoma back in '66! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. My son is rehearsing right now for a musical production of Dr. Horrible here in Portland. Alas, though, I cannot carry a tune even in that proverbial bucket. My dream was to be a writer :) can you believe it?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah, I was SURE a career in Broadway musicals was my certain future. No chorus for me though -lead actress all the way!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh I had the dreams of being a singer and dancer and actor too, but those dreams were not as strong as the one I had about being an Olympic Figure Skater. Oh to glide around the ice with such grace and ease. The pretty (now I realize they are quite gawdy) costumes, my hair slicked back into a bun, my brilliant white skates. *sigh*
    Oh to dream! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This was BEFORE we were old enough to know about Nancy Drew and friends.
    home jobs india

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.