Friday, March 26, 2010

grand gestures

Last night I started learning the sword form in karate. Swords are glamorous weapons. Seriously. They reek of danger and thrilling adventure. Swords are also heavy and awkward to learn. But once you get the moves right, everyone, from ninjas to pirates to knights to vampires look wicked cool wielding them. The very first movement in our sword form is to unsheath your weapon from your side and raise it high above your head. Talk about a grand gesture!


and from that point on


it's all about thrusting and stabbing

spinning and slicing


jabbing and chopping


and cutting your opponent in half.

In a few hours I'm off to the Twin Cities with Team Testosterone to visit my sister, which is something I haven't done in a loooooong time. Our relationship has been fraught with complications since childhood, but she's in a good place now and going to see her is probably the best gift I can give her. This weekend together is all about her, the boys will smother her with affection, well as much as boys their age are wont to do, and we can bond over something other than a cell phone. Her new apartment has an indoor pool, a major perk for my gang. The Momvan is packed with sleeping bags, books on tape, markers, paper, overnight gear and snacks & gifts--including cheese curds made fresh this morning at the cheese factory up the road. The forecast is balmy, adding to our excitement.

My plans also include meeting up with a bloggy pal--I'm SO anxious because I've never done this before. It's like meeting a penpal! We agreed on the time and location this morning. I think I might wear my green sneakers so she recognizes me right off the bat. They are my avatar, after all. I know this will be an amazing experience--I can't wait to share it with you on Monday!

I'm picking a lucky winner for Saucy's Grand Gesture and ipod earrings on Sunday night, so don't forget to leave your comments. Spill it, reader, what grand gesture have you got planned for a loved one?

25 comments:

  1. I love watching sword fights in movies. Do we get to see a video of you at some point?

    As for grand gestures, the most I've done lately is clean up my daughter's barf, which is a true sign of my love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have fun! My youngest is on her way home for spring break, I see many grand gestures in the next week!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun! Both the sword gestures and the meeting a blog pal. Have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My grand gesture each morning is to have the coffee made when hubby gets up

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it is so cool you are leaning the sword! Seriously, cool.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Your a kick butt, sword weilding momma! (Not many kids can say that!)

    Have fun in the Twin Cities this weekend...besides Madison, its probably our next most frequented town! Cracks me up that you can recognize when you're in another "town" by seeing another Target! Totally understand the sister thing...hope its a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A grand gesture? Um... Does wiping butts count?

    Have a wonderful time visiting your sister! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sword form sounds impressive!

    No grand gestures planned...just a (hopefully) relaxing spring break.

    ReplyDelete
  9. One wonders what you folks in Wisconsin consider "balmy" this time of year....above freezing, maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  10. You must be in amazing shape. If someone messes with you, they'll be in for a great samuri surprise.

    Have a good time in MN.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have cheese curds, will travel! Have a wonderful trip. You'll be on the road when it's cold, hopefully returning just in time for the warming temps.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Who is the bloggy friend?! I have some bloggy friends in the Twin Cities, too--I hope to visit there soon.

    An indoor pool at the end of a long winter? Kid nirvana.

    ReplyDelete
  13. How fun for you and your family! Gotta admit, though, I have never tried a cheese curd. In fact, I don't even know what one is...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Swords? Good for you! Too cool!

    Your trip sounds wonderful and I'm sure everyone will enjoy it.

    Meeting a bloggy friend. How fun! Oh do wear the shoes. It's perfect!

    My grand gesture this weekend is for me! I'm going to enjoy the day with my pregnant daughter and my daughter in law tomorrow! Chee hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  15. My son and his gfriend love fencing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hope you have a great time with your sister. and I'm looking forward to reading about your cyberfriend encounter.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Is it just me...or was the sword fight portion of this post a bit, well, dirty?

    Maybe it was the "thrusting."

    Have fun in Minn.! Wear the green shoes! Only good can come from them.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You're going to have so.much.fun. (And I have to agree with San Diego Momma...snirk.)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the Captain Jack Sparrow sword fights. :-)

    Have a wonderful trip!

    ReplyDelete
  20. As for grand gestures, the most I've done lately is clean up my daughter's barf, which is a true sign of my love.
    home jobs india

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mr Blarney collects them. I have way too many in the house for comfort right now.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hope you had fun on your weekend in the cities.

    I would only hope to get the sword out without cutting off one of my fingers.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh my dear, the pleasure was ALL the Matron's! Merrick is ready to pack his bags and move to the "fawm." I am NOT kidding. And I made a friend.

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.