Tuesday, March 9, 2010

oblivious

Mr. G and I sat reading the other afternoon--while working our way through Sesame Street Firehouse, a book I have read hundreds of times to my sons, he suddenly placed his hand on the page and looked up at me in surprise. "Wait a minute! Elmo's a monster?" "Uh, yeah, G. They're all monsters." "I didn't know that! I thought they were really furry people."

***
On the way out of karate class last night Mr. B reached over and gave me a small pinch and poked me in the arm. "A pinch and a poke! You owe me a Coke!" "Good one, buddy," I laughed. "Yeah, I learned that at school. I guess coke is a kind of soda."

***
At the grocery store I explained to Mr. T that meat is a vital source of protein and necessary for his diet and no, nachos and cheese Lunchables weren't going to cut it. He wanted to convince me that nachos and cheese were a healthy lunch at school. "Mom, can't you understand that I'm a vegetarian?" "Which would be fine if you ate the required nutrients in other foods--like beans and whole grains and eggs and vegetables." "You don't support anything I do!"
Five aisles later we rounded the corner and headed for the check out. He swiped a stick of beef jerky and tossed it in the cart with a grin. "Is that for you?" "Yeah." "I thought you were a vegetarian." "So?" "So beef jerky? That's meat. You know, COW."

18 comments:

  1. I almost shuddered when I read about Elmo going to the firehouse! Ugh...I could recite it line for line!

    Boys are great! I love how their minds work...or...don't work ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i can not convince my son that the chicken he eats comes from actual chickens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oblivious is ok. they'll have plenty of time later to be in the know.

    I do love the way boys' minds work, too, though. Mind never cease to amaze and amuse me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! The boys are so creative, yet so....mannish. :) And to think, the oblivion will only get better and funnier as they get older.

    I randomly have those "who knew" conversations at home with Farmer, who, while so smart in so many ways, is so DENSE sometimes. It's great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hehe...those are funny.

    My girls have a hard time with knowing what kind of meat is which. We'll be having BEEF stroganoff, and one of them will ask "Is this chicken?"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Funny boys.

    My younger girl is a vegetarian only when it's convenient for her -- when I'm serving something that she doesn't like.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it!! *hahaha!* Little does one suspect that with maturity, sometimes, it gets even harder to tell the monsters from the regular folks.

    Make sure to let him know that Bert and Ernie are just "really furry people"...*heh*...

    and: "...you don't support anything I do!" omg so early for that one...! I can't wait til he wants to take a semester off from college...
    ::wink!::

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's funny about the hairy people. Reminds me of the other night I told my boys to go tickle their Daddy's belly so he lifted his shirt. They sorta paused and looked....they hadn't seen a belly with hair all over before. I laughed and laughed.
    Carolyn....from Dean and Caden blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Obliviousity is such a useful skill!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm a lunch lady and I had a girl ask for the nachos w/o meat because she is vegetarian. I told her I can't serve it like that. One of my co-workers said she's a real trouble maker and doubts she is vegetarian. I just thought she was whiney. Two weeks later I saw her buying chicken strips. Guess being vegetarian is harder than she thought.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You just have to love kids. They are so darn cute and so darn awesome. If you really take the time to listen to them...they have some amazing things to say....and they can be so witty too! He sounds like a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That line "You don't support anything I do" just cracked me up. Has he been sneaking Oprah when your back was turned? Beef=cow must have really been news.
    Loved that you loved the circus and weren't even a teeny bit scared of the clowns!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, that "you don't support anything I do" is just the tip of the iceberg!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Maybe his vegetarianism requires that he ingest huge amounts of nitrates (doesn't beef jerky have tons of those? I should ask my son, who lives on the stuff).

    Anyhow, I have to admit I'd never heard that little "Coke" phrase before. I was probably too busy playing tetherball in elementary school to hear what the kids were saying.

    ReplyDelete
  15. :-)

    My son went through a phase, after discovering where meat came from, where he kissed each bite of food he took...

    Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  16. For the longest time we had chicken no matter if it was actually chicken or not. I miss those younger days. Now it's all about 'ewwww gross!' or 'I'm NOT eating that!'

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sheer awesomeness! My favorite was the Grover wake-up-call...furry people...hee hee.

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.