Monday, March 29, 2010

warning: i'll probably blather on about this all week

First of all, we have a winner! Winner-winner chicken dinner! FawnDear, you've WON Saucy's Grand Gesture and I KNOW your daughters will look delightful in those itty-bitty ipod earrings. Congratulations!

Second of all, I went to the Twin Cities last weekend. My visit to my sister was largely saved by her new digs which is as nice as a good hotel--clean and full of amenities. The indoor pool area was huge and well-maintained and gave Team Testosterone ample space to burn off their collective steam. And believe me, after 5 hours in the MomVan, they have
steam!

After dropping her at work Saturday morning, I drove the crew deep into St. Paul to find the Java Train Cafe. We were early and detoured a few blocks over to a lovely playground where they ran and frolicked for an hour in the balmy (okay, Suburban Correspondent, it wasn't really balmy--it was 45 and cloudy--brr!) weather. Then we returned to the cafe to meet ...

drumroll ...

(may I add here that I was so excited and a teensy bit nervous about meeting this fellow blogger? I barely slept the night before. I wore my green sneakers and hope on my sleeve)

Minnesota Matron!!!

I wasn't nervous at all once she turned around and we recognized each other in an instant. People, she was amazing! I knew it would be awesome, but really? To meet in person someone you've known online for a couple of years was like Old Home Week. We sat and chatted about all and sundry--family, the infamous "Q" from last year's class at her college, teaching, blogging, and writing. I got to ask all of my burning questions and put a voice and face and body to the mind and thoughts and opinions I've grown to appreciate. She's just as wicked smart as you might imagine from her posts and she wore the loveliest handcrafted jewelry. It felt natural to sit at a table and intimately talk with someone I've known through daily posts for two (plus!) years. And I'd been so afraid it would feel forced and polite. Silly me.

She brought along her adorable youngest who fell in with my tribe like he'd always known them, too. The boys played while we sat in the not-really-balmy outdoor courtyard and yakked and yakked. The time flew with conversation. We parted with that promise to keep in touch, and I know we will. Merrick's got to see the 'farm' here, you know--chuck stones in our creek and check out the forts and deer stand in the Back Forty.

I've always wanted to meet other bloggers in person, I only regret that I haven't tried harder. I'm also happy Mary and I met in this private way. A party or large gathering like BlogHer would be full of distractions and side conversations--this lent itself to so much brain-picking and deeper communication.

It's funny to think of how I preface stories with "my bloggy friend..." By meeting Mary in person I can now officially say "my friend Mary."

I'm as lucky as FawnDear, aren't I?


18 comments:

  1. I met her a couple of years ago..

    Next time you're in the cities, we should meet-- I'm not nearly as exciting as Mary, but it would be good to put a face with a blog, no?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great meeting. It is always nice to put a face with a voice/word

    ReplyDelete
  3. Philosophy Factory--I had no idea you were a Twin Cities gal!
    And honey, I think all my fellow bloggers are exciting. Truly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lucky you, lucky her. I'd love to meet both of you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so lucky--two of my favorite bloggers meeting IRL is a cause for celebration.

    I'm scheming on how I can make a trip to my in-laws include a couple of days in Fargo, with a verrrrry long layover in Minneapolis!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My friend Lori just got the ball rolling for a little bloggie meet up with about 10 other bloggers...2 I know outside of blogland. It should be fun!

    Glad your sister time went well...and that your meeting was a success!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I met Mary briefly when I went to see Scarlett in The Miracle Worker. Isn't it fun when *imaginary* friends become real friends?

    ReplyDelete
  8. What Jen on the Edge said. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love making new real friends. So glad you were able to meet Mary.

    And yes, I do think I'll be fighting my girls over the Ipod earings. Thanks again for the win. Made my day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great story! I first met up with fellow bloggers in this area in the fall, and I must say, real life meetings are fantastic. I'm so glad you both had fun. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd love to meet her! And I know you and I will meet IRL; if not before, I plan to ask you for help making jam. That's my goal for increasing the sustainability of my family's pantry this year.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is soooo awesome. There are so many of my blog friends that I would love to meet in person. I wish some of them were my neighbors! Sounds like you had a fantastic time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You ARE a lucky ducky. And what a wonderful first blog-meet-up person to find. I love Mary's posts and always assumed she would be as beautiful in person as she appears on screen. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. That sounds positively lovely! So glad a good time was had by all. Not much better than a new friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love it when I'm able to transition from an "online friend" to just friend! If not for the internet, I'm not sure where I'd go to meet people I have things in common with. Glad you had a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What fun! I'd love to come visit some more of my 'imaginary' friends!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love her writing, and what I find most intriguing is her parenting style - I mean as much as you can see that kind of thing from an online distance - how she expresses her own learning curve and experiences. It sounds like you two were destined and due for a meeting. Cool!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I told my husband that I made a friend on Saturday!! I could have talked for hours -- and, I was worried about being polite and small talk and all that. There was NONE of it. It was great to cut to the bone immediately.

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.