Wednesday, April 28, 2010

anglo*phile

n. a person who strongly admires or is devoted to England, its people, customs, influence, etc.

My name is Green Girl and I am an Anglophile. Been one as long as I can recall. Just about every single thing English charms me. I'd live there in an instant, sadly Mr. D's office has no plans of Eastward expansion. I'm wild about:

* royalty
* practical shoes & tweed jackets
* Wellies!
* museums & monuments
* bright red phone booths and double-decker buses


* English gardens
* dry, wry, witty humour (Wodehouse, Lear, Austen, Wilde and yes, even Shakespeare)
* really, all British Literature--Christie, Greene, Bronte, Dickens, Holden, Lewis, Tolkien, Rowling, Congreve, Fielding, Shelley, Walpole
* ales, porters, stouts


* clotted cream
* long rambling walks in the countryside
* superior TV shows, fantastic movies
* cool slang
* oh heck, their accent makes lame slang sound brilliant
* gorgeous movie stars (Colin Firth makes me all swoony and that Dench dame is my model of how to age well)
* quaint towns with gorgeous old churches, mossy graveyards and musty pubs


* history
* castles
* the classy design of the Union Jack
* stiff upper lips and that Keep Calm & Carry On attitude
* propriety
* tea

I think I first pledged my adoration for this country when I read The Secret Garden and even though I think other countries are very nice, none are as lovely as England. Which is one of the other reasons I so enjoyed The Blue Virgin. M.K. Graff is a shameless Anglophile and her setting reeks of all that good Oxford, England stuff that our people like--cups of tea, shortbread and cobblestone streets. Leave a comment any time this week for a chance to win this month's FABULOUS: The Blue Virgin by M.K. Graff.


Spill it, reader. What kind of phile are you?

21 comments:

  1. I'm a technophile for sure. Which is good, as I earn my living thanks to my enthusiasm. But I do love British authors and I have that exact tea set so I understand anglophilia quite well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a definite Francophile. I love all things French (except for cheese).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I simply loved your bloggy get-away! In fact, after I type in this sentence's exclamation point, I will head to the kitchen to exchange my cup of coffee for a spot o' tea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know what I am, except that I love pretty much everything on your England list, too. I am currently on the hunt for some wellies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your fanaticism could almost convince me... if I didn't know all that truly horrible stuff about England and its brutal history and its attempts to dominate the world. Just saying.

    I don't yet know if I'm a phile of something. I'll have to think about it. My brain simply works this way: there's a good side and a bad side to everything. So I have a hard time being a phile. Except for dairy. No matter what bad stuff people say about it, I'll never get off my dairy kick. I guess that makes me a dairy-phile?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anglophile all the way--Agatha Christie was my gateway!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anglophile here, too. It comes of starting to read Agatha Christie at about age 12. There is nothing quite like a good English mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a fun post! I'm not sure what I am, but my hubby's company is based in England, so he's been able to go over there for work. We were both suppose to go this year for a wedding, but it looks like that isn't happening now which I am so bummed out about!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a francophile, for sure! I've studied french for 7 years and got to travel to France once, which was amaaaazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Caffeine-ophile? I don't think there's a word for Canada fans. I love the country.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah ha ha haaaaa! We have the same affliction.

    :-)

    Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  12. This phile was lucky enough to score an Englishman for a husband so I get to hear the accent all the time...I too am England nuts have been since the beatles and it never went away, never shall go away and see no bloody reason why it should...all this coming from a girl formerly of Sheboygan...

    ReplyDelete
  13. What about loving a good ghost story...so many come from England.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear GreenGirl, it sounds like you had better come and visit!

    Sean says "Tell her I'm a nail-file!" He's reading over my shoulder.

    Better come over soon, the bluebells are about to bell all over the woods, and WAIT till you SEE my new BIKE! Bluebell blue, and rather provincial.

    Ta, dahling, I'm off to have an English lunch in an English market cafe...

    ReplyDelete
  15. England IS lovely but I'm an Italophile all the way!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anglophile, yes, stemming from having lived there as a very young child. Unfortunately, I was only 4 when we moved back so I don't have any real memories of it. I'm told I had a bit of a British accent when we returned and had the habit of saying "I got rocks in my 'ed."

    But I think I'm more of an Erin-o-phile. I adore all things Irish. The accents, the speech, the countryside, even the political radicals. Ireland is at the top of my To Visit list.

    ReplyDelete
  17. One of the things I miss most about living in Holland is the ease with which you can visit another coutry. I used to be an avid hiker. Popping over to Scotland (which doesn't qualify me as an anglophile but it's close) for a weekend used to be within reach. Not anymore...

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.