Friday, April 16, 2010

books! authors! golf!

Last night the Bumble Book Club spent the entire 3 hours discussing the book. When Everything Changed by Gail Collins isn't her best work (I thought her first was better edited--America's Women: Four Hundred Years of Dolls, Drudges, Helpmates & Heroines should be compulsory reading for every American citizen.) But--we had an phenomenal discussion about the Women's Movement, the Civil Rights Movement, abortion, economics and political policy--and we concluded that while everything did change, not everything is on par...yet. What a discussion!

And then! K announced she's going to be a grandma in August! That is the sixth new grandma this year! I know I'm in middle age when I have as many pregnant friends as I do expectant grandmothers.

This morning I took my mother-in-law to see Lesley Kagen who was her typically funny, entertaining and marvelous self. And she announced that she's about to be a grandmother! I tell you--I'm afraid to drink the water. Anyway, the whole 2 hours of Lesley Kagen talking about writing and her books was perfectly grand. If you haven't yet read Whistling in the Dark, go now and grab a copy. Her command of narrative, dialogue and voice is extraordinary.

Now I'm typing to thaw out my fingers--in blustery weather, MIL and I golfed 9 holes. In a rare show of solidarity, my 5-iron hit the ball well. We didn't keep score and laughed all the way through the front nine. I feel quite lucky today, despite the juicy coughing.

Spill it, reader. What blessings are you counting today?

20 comments:

  1. Blessings--healthy kids who have some skill in summer sports, a full-time job with benefits, a warm house, and good friends--see you tomorrow

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thankful for playing in the dirt with the boys today ---the beginnings of an awesome garden (and that they've been such good sports with all of the changes we've made!)

    Ooh...I'm also thankful for great reads! I'm halfway through Michael Perry's Coop---loving it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Despite the fact that my life is plowing ahead at full tilt (I'm much more comfortable at half- or 3/4-tilt), everything is positive and happy. I just need more sleep. :D

    Spring has sprung! All of the trees and bushes are in bloom, along with the bulbs, the wild violets, and everything is turning GREEN again.

    I don't have to work at the second job tonight. Phew.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That I'm finishing the last book in my pile and now I have a recommendation for another!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its the weekend! That's always a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Samantha just got a kick-butt paid summer internship working for a $1.3 trillion company (yes, that is a T) who may be inclined to hire her full time when she graduates next spring. Also, Elizabeth, out of the blue, got a call from Marquette last night saying they upped her grant which will make this a much more affordable choice for her. Go Warriors, I mean, Go Golden Eagles. Plus her prom date got picked to be on the prom court. Now if a publisher would just contact me today and say they want my book, my life would be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad the Bumbles liked the book...I was a bit nervous, as it's pretty heavy historical and not many people (other than myself and my best friend) like books like that.

    Maybe in a few months I'll introduce the Bumbles to one of my secret history boyfriends: Stephen Ambrose. Awesome historical nonfiction writer. Or maybe not. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. i just went on a date with my eight year old and now i am snuggled in for the night with a blanket and a stiff drink and a good book. i could not ask for more.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I count my blessing everyday. They include my family, my home, my job, my pets, my health and my spirit among other things. Every day I feel like the luckiest person on the face of the earth. It's such a wonderful feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My kids, as always. Plus, my daughter is coming home from college next month, so I'm really happy about that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just went back and read some of your older posts to catch up. Holy moly! You have/had pneumonia??? Cripes! I'm sorry to hear that. Hope you are feeling MUCH better now.

    I am very thankful the weekend is here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Blessings: ex-husband and ex-in-laws going back to their respective time zones on Sunday. Thank the lord.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm not the one driving a car load of girls to and from L.A. for the Taylor Swift concert tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm thankful for the spring weather--for a while I thought we had jumped right into summer, and I'm definitely not ready for the heat.

    I love a good discussion on history and politics. Sounds like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Blessing: last weekend, when we bought new hiking boots for Max, we forgot his school shoes, which he was wearing, at the store!! Went back for them today, and they were safe and sound. Phew! Of course I had called and said we'd be back, but the school shoes were in such a horrible muddy state (from hiking in them)that I really thought they would be thrown out! They are currently drip-drying. They are good Clarks shoes, so I'm relieved that they were safe.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My blessing right now. I purring kitty in my lap. Family all snug in their beds, and a quiet house for blog reading!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm counting your blog as a blessing, as I now get to go look up these books you mention.

    So you golf, too? CRAZY woman, when do you sleep?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds like you had a lovely weekend!

    I must look up that book recommendation...

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am definitely going to look up the book you recommended! I was just looking or something new to read! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm thankful for this weekend's firsts. For the completion of my first official 10K on Saturday. For The Boy's first Sunday to attend church with the family in a lonf while.

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.