Thursday, April 29, 2010

clumps of dirt and blades of dried grass are scattered everywhere

Last night Mr. T had his first soccer practice. He has already decided he hates soccer (Well, DUH! That's why you didn't play last year and why you had a terrible time when you did play the year before. Plus I may be bitter that everyone's sport schedule is encroaching on my time in the dojo.) It's going to be a long, long summer of dragging him to practices and games. Today he has 2 concerts for school--in which he and the rest of his class will play their recorders. I will endure both concerts, AKA the Fifth Circle of Hell. Children whining is about the only sound worse than a recorder squawking and squealing through songs no one has heard of like Red River Valley Sings A Melody About Hope and Victory March for Daffodils in April's Spring Rain.

Mr. B had to write a short piece about what he can do to help save endangered animals from becoming extinct. He wrote: "Stop taking their body parts for scientific experiments." I love how his mind works. He's also jumping rope all the time. He wants to beat his previous record of consecutive jumps--he's up to 87 as of last night. I know this because he's roped me in as his Official Counter.

Mr. G and I have been planting 50 tree seedlings--he's a real helper out in the field, selecting the best spots for the spruce trees and holding them upright while I cover their roots with dirt. We've cut and burned 7 tent caterpillar nests (*shudder*) and begun cleaning up the vegetable garden. Whenever Mr. G finds a worm, he puts it in a better spot beside our tree and talks to it. It pleases me to see him lying belly down on the ground engrossed in an ant hill or a worm's journey over the terrain.

The dandelions are in FULL BLOOM, growing in epic numbers in our yard. Yesterday Mr. B and Mr. G picked a large bag of them and took them to the neighbors' house to sell them. They came home with fists full of miniature chocolate bars and huge smiles. "We sold our flowers to J&J," they announced. "Old people like flowers so they bought them from us. Wasn't that nice? We made them so happy!" I've warned our neighbors not to encourage my kids--if you feed them, they will keep coming back. With paper sacks full of dandelions. Of which we have plenty.

Don't forget to leave a comment so you have a chance to win this month's FABULOUS, The Blue Virgin, a wonderful murder mystery by the amazing M.K. Graff AKA Auntie M (check out her book blog here!).


I'm pulling on my Wellies and grabbing my spade--I have a hot date with some shrubs and a compost pile this morning. Spill it, reader, what's your to-do list looking like?


17 comments:

  1. Your garden tales with your children sound wonderful. With a grandchild on the way, I'm hoping to have moments like this in our yard in the future one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Care packages made up and shipped off to the Precious daughters in time for finals!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wade through a stack of articles and stats on teen pregnancy--but I'm a bit of a research geek, so it's all good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Get the receiving blanket done before the hospital. 20 more rows to knit and we'll be good to go.

    I have to ask: what made Mr. T want to sign up for soccer, as he already knew that he didn't like it from previous experience? How long is the season...my thoughts to you as you drag him through it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your boys. They're all just so imaginative and wonderfully fabulous.

    We only have three weeks of soccer left and I can't wait for it to be over. But there's a possibility of a tourny in early June, which is messing with my happiness a bit.

    My to-do list for today involves finishing cleaning out my office at work, as our building is about to be renovated and we have to vacate the premises.

    Starting tomorrow, however, I'm planning four days of fun and frivolity involving lots of garden time and some bike rides and walks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh your poor ears!!! Nothing is worse than recorders!!!

    Love that they were selling dandelions for chocolate...seems like a fair trade :)

    Today, we've got nothing planned...just hanging out watching seeds grow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are feeling better! I loved your blog today...made me laugh until tears were rolling down my cheeks. If I was younger I could take these to the comedy club and be a big hit. Now, anyone my age remembers the Red River Valley song on those flutes...why did they start calling them recorders??

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am still painting and working on my office. figure i have another week since i have to fit the work in amongst every thing else...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need to figure out a plan for dinner. I also need to make up some goodie bags for my son's b-day party but I'm still waiting on some RSVP's.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kids are so awesome...and sometimes so are neighbors!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Why is it that dandelions can grow anywhere without any assistance and grass feels the need to be feed and watered daily.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your kid stories! I taught elementary music for 2 years before I ran, fingers in ears, back to teaching math!

    I got into my garden for the first time this year. It looks more like a weed jungle...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the pretty yellow flowers in the pic

    Plus, I LOVE soccer even after about 20 years of watching the kids' games

    ReplyDelete
  14. 50 tree seedlings! Wow! I'm a worm fan, too, and carefully relocate them to my gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've decided that I'm in love with your boys. They are so much more interesting than little boys who spend their days attached to a video game.
    Soccer is exactly the reason why Cape Cod Man started KungFu!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is a LOT going on. I feel almost lazy.

    I commiserate on the recorder concert, although my son is playing Ode to Joy on his, so it's not so bad. Until he segues into an 'anything goes' jamfest. *shudder*

    Yay for the dandelion sales and worm nurturing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can not believe they consider recorders a musical instrument. Bleh. Spent my morning with mounds of sweaty laundry, cleaning the stinky green fish tank and researching bedroom designs.

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.