Friday, April 23, 2010

the end of a losing streak

I feel a little better. Still crabby, but breathing easier AND the sinus infection is nearly gone. Hearing clearly again is a blessing. Everything tastes metallic and smells weird, though. My energy came back enough to tackle the disaster zone upstairs and I rounded up 2 boxes of old toys for the thrift shop, found Mr. B's missing sweatshirt and favorite cap and unearthed a full box of Girl Scout cookies from underneath his bed, too. Bonus! I also found .26 which I pocketed as a tip for finding the cap.

Getting rid of stuff always makes me feel a little happier.

The Project is kicking up a half-ton of dust and we're anxiously watching the progress. It's still allegedly going to be done Monday. Hold your breath. The truck just pulled in the driveway, but only one guy jumped out. Is he here to collect equipment to bring to another job site? Is he here to continue working? It's moments like these I wish I had curtains.

Mr. B got his last under-belt in karate last night. He's now a brown-stripe belt--the next is black. I felt quite proud.

Mr. D's team finally got a win under their belt. He came home happier than he's been in a while. We're all so relieved.

Mr. T's visit to the local parochial school went better than we'd hoped. He really liked it. What made you like it, Mr. T? The hot lunch was better (made from scratch), the teachers explained things more clearly and gave less busy work for assignments, the teachers gave out study guides to help the kids study for tests, there weren't any naughty kids, there were new friends made on the playground at recess, the new school has mandatory Spanish classes PreK-8, the music class doesn't make the kids play recorders (Oh, thank GOD!) and it was smaller. Was there anything you didn't like? There weren't any cute girls. Girls are overrated, Mr. T. Especially the cute ones.

On top of being Earth Day, yesterday was also Tornado Awareness Day. The alarm went off at 1:00 and the school had their annual drill. The boys came home and began dragging things to the basement to prepare. I asked Mr. G to stop, "Buddy, you'll want to sleep with those things tonight--don't bring your whole bed to the basement!" Tears welled up in his eyes and he began to sob. "What?" "The tornado is coming!" he kept repeating. He didn't know the difference between a drill and a warning and I reassured him that there was NO sign of a tornado in sight. Boy, did they freak him out at school. Poor kid. He really thought one was headed our way.

It was also Bring Your Kid to Work Day yesterday. Do you think Mr. D told me? HELL no, he didn't. He never does.

Finally, if you made it this far, click here and go to Eco Women to leave a comment and win a canvas shopping tote! Go! Now!

And happy weekend!

19 comments:

  1. My son was so freaked out by 'fire safety week' in Kindergarten that he didn't sleep for a month because he was certain our house was going to go up in flames... I understand the importance of having a safety plan, but really, do they have put so much fear in the kids that they can't function?!!

    Glad to hear you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Take it from me, parochial school girls are adorable! Maybe the uniforms threw him off? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoops, forgot to say I was digging around in the deep freeze and found TWO boxes of Thin Mints! Information I will NOT be sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad to hear that you're feeling better! & I'm with Fannie...maybe reassure Mr. T. that those girls might be cuter outside of class. *heh* Just don't tell him they might also be a little wilder, too.
    * ; )
    Glad I'm not the only one...I always feel great when I'm "purging the house" too...gettin' a big ol' box or bag ready for Goodwill! Yes, yes.

    And tornadoes! Wow...that brings back memories...when those low, quiet, greenish/blackish/purple lumpy clouds came over, and the special sirens went off, my mom and I would grab our jewelry boxes(??), take the cats, and head for the basement...ahh, those were the days...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Typical MidWestern leaning, scare the crap out of them to teach them a lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We're having 'fire safety week' all week at our house... Hope all continues to go well there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad that you're feeling better! (The metallic taste is prob the antibiotic). Too bad about the little guy being freaked by the drill! Our first storm this year got the boys all riled up...we'll see how the rest of the season goes :/

    ReplyDelete
  8. You tell Mr. T that I KNOW parochial school girls are cute....I can even show him pictures of a few cute ones from back in the day at St. B's in GB. :)

    Kitty and i can't wait to come back and see the finished project...she likes watching the trucks leave every day, but she thinks Team Testosterone is on the trucks leaving....we say "bye" to the "guys" for a good 1/2 hour after the trucks leave every night. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember when my kids learned about calling 911. Yes, I got a call from 911 making sure everything was okay...after each kid tested the system. My neighbor got a visit from the police when her daughter several times and hung up. Nice.

    Getting rid of stuff rocks. I even love trash day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They really need to explain things better so kids understand. Poor guy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It sounds like your getting back to your feisty self. Thank goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad you're feeling a bit improved! Now don't overdo; that'll give you a setback.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I want to be your kid now so I can go to that parochial school. Wow.

    Just reading about your family life always leaves me breathless!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh and it was talk like Shakespeare day - 'cuz it's his bday.

    But now don't overdo it. You might feel better but it actually takes quite a while to GET better. Don't want a relapse. I know a lot about this - seems my family is susceptible to sinus issues and pneumonia.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You had my full attention at "Girl Scout Cookies"! I can't get enough of them.

    Glad you're feeling better. Hang in there.
    jj

    ReplyDelete
  16. Men! Happy you are feeling better. xoxo
    SC

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad you're feeling better! Score on the girl scout cookies!

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.