Thursday, May 27, 2010

off to the mountains


My bags are packed--only bringing the carry-on this time around, and woe to the bulky business traveler who thinks he can hog all the space in the overhead bin. This time I'm claiming my 36 square inches of free cargo room!

I always get a little heady when I leave--the sweet freedom of being around 4 of my favorite women for 6 days of discussing books, writing and everything deep in-between. Did I mention this comes with a mountain view, Nina Romano's divine cooking, a case of wine, a private bedroom and bathroom and all the cheese I care (or dare!) to eat? I can't wait to hear about Lauren Small's newest work in progress and dish about the newest Nora Tierney mystery with MK Graff. And help Mariana Damon revise a book for a YA audience. I'm terribly excited.

And equally morose--what if my plane crashes? I insist to Mr. D that he find a suitable wife STAT--my sons need a good mother. He assures me he'll never remarry and and gives me a brisk, worried kiss. I place my hands on Mr. G's sweet cheeks and tweak his freckled nose. I give my skinny Mr. B a good hug and rub my chin against his silky-soft hair. I wrap my arms around Mr. T, who always takes my absence the hardest, and inhale his sweet scent to memorize it. Home is where my heart is and I've become rooted to one place.

I'll be back in June--with DOUBLE FABULOUS because May got away from me!

30 comments:

  1. Why does "Leaving on a Jet Plane" by John Denver enter my mind while reading the blog? Have a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh it just sounds so perfect. But I know how hard it is to leave your beautiful family. I feel the same way when I go on vacation (when do I do that? ;) ).
    I also insist Todd remarries if something happens to me. He too swears that he won't. But I think my kids need a mom.
    Todd on the other hand says that if something happens to him he will HAUNT me if I get remarried. HA! Silly jealous guy. ;)

    HAVE A WONDERFUL, RELAXING, FABULOUS TIME!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have fun and I will miss your blog next week. I love the wonderful stories of the boys and how you are helping them be great people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a great, relaxing, rejuvenating time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a great trip! Sounds like an awesome time with some great creative minds! I totally understand the flight apprehension...Jim's flying to NM to look at a job in July..it kind of freaks me out and makes me feel a bit alone (but then I tell myself to get a grip already!!! Its not even June!)

    Have a wonderful time--cant wait to hear all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have a wonderful time! Soak it all up to keep you going. I know you'll miss the boys but you will be so buoyed by your week!! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have a great trip! Enjoy the company, the words and the wine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Safe journeys! And stick your bag in the first open space you see regardless of where your seat is. Just sayin’.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Enjoy your time away. That first 30 minutes or so when you get back and they're so thrilled to see you again is the best part about going away.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have a fabulous time! Waller in the fun of it! Get all the goodie you can out of this time!

    My mother says "Take pie when pie is passed." Eat a buncha pie!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It will be so good for you and you will have such a wonderful time! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Have a great time...I'll keep an eye mom on the joint from my vantage point. All will be great.

    Tell the men that if they need a mom hug, come on up. I can definitely help out with that.

    (Mr. D too, I suppose, but it might get awkward. :) just kidding!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know you will have such a wonderful time on your getaway. Sounds fabu.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love that you make these getaways to refresh and recharge!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Friends, food and fun sounds like...GOOD TIMES!!
    See you when you get back. We'll be expecting a post about your adventures.

    Sweet wishes,
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh you lucky girl! This sounds like a fabulous trip! Have a great time and travels safe. I'm sending angels your way for your flight :-)
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. plane will NOT crash. you will have a wonderful time. come home soon.

    ReplyDelete
  18. My family leaves me so often that I have to stop feeling guilty whenever I get the rare chance to go someplace. Have a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds wonderful! Have a safe trip.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Have a fantastic trip! Sounds so wonderful! I hope eventually I can get an annual getaway scheduled with my besties!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I hope you have a GREAT time! It is so hard to leave your little guys, but you'll be back...and it'll be almost like you never left. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. My goal is to be back in June, too. Of course, my May got way more away from me...I think I posted 3 times. ;-)

    I'm sure you had a wonderful time - can't wait to hear about it.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yay! I hope you're having a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sweetheart, a private bedroom and bathroom? We'll be lucky to see you come July!

    Have a BLAST. This kind of soul restoration is essential to keeping you the fine wife and mother that you are. Tend to yourself. Do. Do.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I hope you are having a wonderful time soaking up the literary love! Can't wait to hear how things went when you get back.

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.