Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Globs! Taking over the world!

Many things about our local school district fail to inspire my confidence. In particular, I've had a very verbal and well-documented (by me!) beef with the "technology coordinator." (See this post for a little taste of the ongoing debacle.) This woman, who I shall call "The Hack," has wasted tens of thousands of taxpayer dollars on fixing outdated computers (10 years and older!). She's in over her head and far behind in knowledge for her job, yet no one seems in any hurry to get rid of her. That's seniority and union protection working, I guess. If I was her boss, I'd demand she get training or replace her. Crazy idea, huh? But I hear there are some qualified people looking for work... I find it unbelievable that someone with such a deplorable skill set has such an important job. But perhaps our school district runs like Congress (haha).

Imagine my guffaws this morning whilst reading The Hack's letter enclosed in the district's newsletter--mailed to every. single. resident. in. our. district. This plea for donations for the "Happyland School District Technology Support Fund" began like this:

"iPods! Twitter! Globs! UTube! Nings! Facebook! Netbooks! Google! Technology is all around us."

Yes, that is verbatim what she wrote. I'll spare you the rest of her error-ridden correspondence, except to say that it'll be a cold day in Hell before I consider supporting The Hack's technology plan.

I'm going to hide in my basement--safe from the Globs taking over the world--and the giant UTubes that may or may not suck my brains out, rendering me a quivering wreck.

Sheesh.


20 comments:

  1. Well, bless her heart...isn't she special! (We're in the south for a whee vaca so that's the best I can come up with...but my hard northern heart would tell her to cram it!).
    A friend posted on fb yesterday that a man came to her door asking for donations for the local public pool...she asked him to wait a second and came back with a glass of water!!! Maybe you should send the Hack a glob!?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A had to Google Globs--I'm definitely not impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WTH are globs? Did she mean blogs?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw the same thing and grunted my disgust. No way I'm helping Hack with her projects. Redonkulous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. why? why why why why? just completely drives me crazy. Utube. globs? what the heck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yet, if you were ever to bring her lack of credentials up with the school board they would totally stand behind her 100%. I loath the way Teachers unions protect the very worst. If they need to keep her they could reassign her to change lightbulbs or something. You've got my ire up because I'm surrounded by Hacks in my school district.
    Humm, maybe the PTA could start an after-school Tech Club? Not that your not busy enough.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh that is sad. Sorta funny, but sad.

    ReplyDelete
  8. See..? People needEditors and Proofreaders.

    Is this the Notorious Grandma D? She gets an "F" on this. *heehee!*

    I feel partially sad for the elderly or out-of-touch...they are trying...they know what they want to say, gosh darn it, isn't that what kids are calling it? UTube? It seems like that's how you'd spell it if you were being cool and sending a TEXT message to someone! Oh, bother!

    The whole tone of her !alarming! headline made me laugh...Technology! It's Everywhere! Lordy! What to do! Call Andy Rooney! STAT!
    * ; D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't believe she is still putting money into 10 year old computers. Computers are not cars, or school buses, for that matter.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What on earth is a NING? I must be hopelessly out of date...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Please don't tell me that by "globs" she meant "blogs." In a way, it's kind of endearing that the technology director is so clueless about technology. But then, I don't have to deal with her personally.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow...I had NO idea what globs meant until some of the other commenters said it probably meant 'blogs'. But I still have NO idea what a 'Ning' is!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Globs? Oh, my. That hurts. I've worked with some like that. Long story - but for a taste, one asked kids to bring a ruler to the lab so they could measure the piece they were creating onscreen. Gah.

    And she wondered why I preferred teaching computer skills myself.

    ReplyDelete
  14. And I felt I had to justify getting a new computer after almost 4 years. She'd be frowning upon me.

    That is just sad.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Unreal!!!!!!!! Situations like this make my blood boil!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's pretty bad, especially from a technology teacher. Thinking the kids may know more than her?

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOL!
    You have so much patience! I think I'd storm the school district like a raving lunatic... oh wait... never mind...

    I can't wait to look on Utube and find out what Globs are now! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I hate to see typos and misspellings on letters sent home from school! I want to send them all back, corrected.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I had never heard of a Ning - what with fb and twitter - there's no need.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Globs? NING? I think I'm pretty on top of it but what are those? Real or not?

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.