Thursday, July 8, 2010

garden walk

The weeds and everything I've planted this year are doing fabulous with all the rain and hot weather helping them along. Sure, it looks like it's all coneflowers and butterflies, but I assure you, we've got mosquitoes and thistles and slugs.


Here's the potager this year--quite an improvement over last! I notice we've got green beans to pick already. Mr. D gave me that garden bench for Christmas, a pleasant spot to stop and admire everything.


And beside it I've started a wild garden.

I planted a bunch of extras--sunflowers, coneflowers, lilies and irises!
The daisies this year are as prolific as the pigweed (and that's saying something).

And lilies! Good ol' reliable lilies.

Hollyhocks, of course.

Our front garden has gotten pretty wild. I like it this way.


And of course there are the pots. What's more charming than pots of annuals on a porch?

I'm off to weed a little, pick a little and deadhead a little. Happy Thursday, reader!

13 comments:

  1. Happy day to you! Kitty had a wonderful time last night. Everyone at my meeting got an earful about swimming and the guys when she got home. They were very charmed by her. :) We appreciate your help with her! We're so lucky to have all of you around us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your wonderful flowers and garden. It has been a great summer for making things grow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is truly lovely. I'm not a fan of the overly-manicured look, so your style is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ~ wow! ~ You got a lot of green goin' on, Green! *heehee! Lookin' good! It is LUSH over there!

    Why do day lilies have so much grass per flower, I wonder...? I have some in my back yard, too....I'm sad to admit the lily-grasses frustrate me with their abundance, even though the cheery orange flowers are nice. But I don't have acreage like y'all do.
    * ; )

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you have such a plethora of green and blooming color. If I had all your space, I think I'd be overwhelmed with wanting to plant without knowing where to start.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My hollyhocks were lovely - at first. They were diseased last year (rust), and the wimpy ones that came up this year were not looking healthy, so I pulled them out. I'll give the soil a year or two to heal, and then I'll try hollyhocks again. They're so gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your gardens are amazing! I've always been a fan of sunflowers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am a coneflower and lily fiend. Love your flowers. For the wild garden, do you just plant a lot of things and let it go? We have a sloped backyard that needs something interesting in one corner. I'm loving your idea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. All that glorious green loveliness... Me and my black thumb so enjoy living vicariously through your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We seem to have a lot of coneflowers blooming this year, in fact more than last year. It's so dry here that they and everything else is burning up and looking very sad. I wish someone would send us some rain.

    Di

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely garden. Makes me want to move back to the midwest - for the summers anyway! found you through Cheaper than Therapy

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's what summer's all about......sunny days and taking time to watch the flowers grow :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very Beautiful. A walk around your garden could get you into a very nice frame of mind!

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.