Tuesday, July 20, 2010

lost


I said my piece (about democracy and responsibility and protecting the children who have no voice), I made my arguments (about class sizes and power structures and the school board's obligation to the people who elect them). I didn't raise my voice (although one mother sure did!). The bobbleheads nodded and nodded and nodded. And when the superintendent made her proposal, they indulged the parents by asking questions, but in the end they nodded, made a motion to accept her proposal, seconded said motion and voted 100% in favor of passing the motion to move the craptastic preschool teacher on maternity leave until January into Kindergarten and hire a part-time preschool teacher. And so the bleeding of staff continues in a sneaky, underhanded way.

Would it be in bad form to have bobbleheads made of each of the school board members? I imagine standing them at their spots and that way the real board members could skip meetings altogether.

Oh, and the best part? That actually came at the end of the meeting when the bobbleheads followed the superintendent down the hall to admire the new floor installed in the high school fieldhouse.

Priorities, people.

19 comments:

  1. I am so sorry that things didn't end better. What a disappointment for the parents and teachers.

    I like your bobblehead idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa. That's so frustrating. Don't you just want to lower a giant hand out of the sky and still those bobbling heads?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poop. I'm sorry.

    The Bobblehead Plan is truly inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grrrr--how frustrating! Sorry that they didn't listen...I gave up on our school distric long ago! If it doesn't involve sports, they really don't care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry they didn't listen to you. Good for you for going to the meeting and speaking up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is just so wrong. Bobbleheads indeed. Or should it be "Bubble heads"? They seemed to be filled with air only...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Clearly, you didn't use enough hair gel.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ugh. I think you could make some serious money using the bobblehead idea as a fundraiser!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Priorities: so right. How sad.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's just a bunch of crock! I love the bobble head idea though! Made me giggle :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's aggravating. I guess if they already know what they're going to do, they'll just do it. But why waste everyone's time and energy then? Or could they for once give a damn about what's necessary? I know, rhetorical questions. I'm just glad I wasn't there; I'd have had an aneurysm or something.

    But: did you wear the power suit? Show up with a cocktail? Offer to get them drunk on martinis and then try to tell them what they really wanted was 2 kindergarten teachers? Hmmm. Maybe you should try it next time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oi. That bites Green Girl. Ben said maybe they would've listened if Mr. D got up to give the speech. It's bad all over but even more disappointing when it is literally in your own back yard. I think the Bobblehead fundraiser would maybe raise the other half of the preschool teacher's salary!? Let that be your legacy to Crappyland Elementary or begin packing the board commities with parents and get out petitions to run for the board seats and go after the Superintendent from a much more comfortable chair.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Everything is decided long before you get there. The rest is just for show. I have a friend who got elected to our school board and the Super told her he didn't like dissenting votes.

    Thankfully she has bigger kuhonas (sp?) than he has.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Grrr! Thank you for fighting the good fight, even if you didn't win this battle. I admire you for standing up for what is right.

    So, Betty ... Did you come home and go to bed with Don? Yummm ...

    ReplyDelete
  15. That stinks. However, the bobblehead plan is brilliant.

    We need some at my school...because we must have had some bobbleheads nodding about when someone suggested to install professional TURF on a high school football field.

    Hopefully, at least, you went home to a good stiff scotch or brandy and Mr. Draper was waiting in bed for you....

    yum.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think having bobbleheads made would be GENIUS! My husband had one made for his boss as a joke--hilarious!

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.