Thursday, July 15, 2010

magic in the woods

"Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
I'll tell you who Time ambles withal, who Time trots withal,
who Time gallops withal, and who he stands still withal."
- William Shakespeare, As You Like It, 3.2

Yesterday afternoon Mr. D and I drove 3 hours here:


to see this after a meal of this. We laughed and grew thoughtful, we agreed that Touchstone stole every scene he appeared in and the entire experience was wonderful. We reflected on the relevance of Shakespeare's work, hundreds of years after he wrote his play. We remarked on the brilliance of the set design, the creativity of the director's interpretation, the talent of the actors reveling in those woods. Despite the forecast, we didn't feel a drop of rain nor did a single mosquito attempt to extract our blood. I've gone to APT for over 20 years and never, ever missed a performance due to weather. Extraordinary? Not really. Not when a place is possessed of so much magic.

"Can one desire too much of a good thing?"
- William Shakespeare, As You Like It, 4.1

We returned home through this:


Three hours of driving in the worst thunderstorms I've ever seen. They never abated. This morning my bones are weary, the fields are flooded almost up to the road, but my heart? Lighter than dragonfly wings.

"O, wonderful, wonderful, and most wonderful wonderful!
and yet again wonderful, and after that out of all whooping."
- William Shakespeare, As You Like It, 3.2

12 comments:

  1. ....heaven...really..! I wish you could just sprawl around all day at your liesure, after a night like that..!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A Midsummer's Night's Dream is playing the next two weeks at North. Want to catch a show? Now you've got me in the mood for Shakespeare.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My very first Shakespeare play was Hamlet, and I saw it in Wales, on a hikingtrip. The setting was the ruins of the Bishop's Palace in a quaint small town. It was the most magical experience, the highlight of my trip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't been there since high school! My friend goes up there every year by herself, rents a room and just relaxes away from her fam :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Shakespeare, although I don't always admit that in mixed company! What a beautiful stage. I'm jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Shakespeare in the park (or woods!)...it can't get much better than that on a summer evening.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There's a Shakespeare theatre about 40 minutes from my house. Alas, I missed my favorite -- "Taming of the Shrew" -- while we were out of town.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great time--and a great idea to be able to buy a picnic dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sounds like such a fun evening. I even like the thunderstorms. Maybe not driving in them, but I love watching them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I thought of you while the storms were raging. It seemed like the worst of the tornado watches and severe t-storms were north of us - either right over you or slightly north.

    As for Shakespeare? All the world's a stage, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am embarrassed to admit this, but I have never seen a Shakespeare play or read any of his books. I am sure I am missing something, but I never got into it. Of course I could listen or watch anything in a park on a beautiful day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds lovely! (I even read through all the menu choices ;).)
    Hope the rains have all abated today and will mean more wildflowers in the coming weeks!

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.