Friday, August 27, 2010

one more thing

that makes Laurie Hertzel's memoir News to Me: Adventures of an Accidental Journalist such a great read is the time period. While reading it I was reminded and amazed at how much was taking place during the 70's-80's. The Cold War was ending--Laurie got to visit Soviet Russia and see firsthand a country caught between the static force of Communism and the momentum of history. Property rights and values were shifting in Northern Minnesota--from native spear fishing disputes to the slow crumble of factories and industry, Laurie bore witness to it all. She watched a steady flow Duluthians head for the Twin Cities. Changing times indeed, and Laurie's book captures the excitement and the fear.


This is your last chance to leave a comment and enter to win a copy of News to Me: Adventures of an Accidental Journalist. I'm picking one lucky winner on Sunday! And trust me, this is one read you do not want to miss.

In other news, the Packers stomped all over the Colts last night, Aaron Rodgers proved why he is the quarterback that old has-been Brett Favre wishes he still was--and why true-blue Packer fans are happy he moved on to Purple Pastures in Minnesota. And that Aaron Rodgers kind of made my beloved Peyton Manning look a little sorry, too. Lest you think I was there watching the game in person, I must tell you I caught about 5 minutes on television after returning home from my kids' karate graduation/movie premiere and before setting the stage for their slumber party. I'm not Mother of the Year, but I resisted temptation and stuck it out with Team Testosterone.

This morning I learned from Mr. D that I could have been sitting in upgraded seats at Lambeau thanks to one of his company's vendors. But I'm really glad I made the choice I did.

Really.

12 comments:

  1. Yes you did the right thing....

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll have many more packer's games---glad you enjoyed the kiddos' grad and movie premier! (As a purple fan, I could take or leave good ol' grandpa brett)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You made the decision you could live with--that's how you know it was the right one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also passed up pre-season tickets, for the Packer's vs Cleveland. The sad part is it was just 3 weeks ago, but I can't remember why even. I should have gone to the game. I have seen the packers play 20 times but never at Lambeau. Oh well, I am sure it was important to someone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, how did your boy Mr. Manning fair? HMMM.... Brett is still cuter than Payton

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was wondering what you decided to do, when I was watching the Packers with Lola, munching popcorn on the bed.

    Good choice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did the right thing. Looking back on it youu'll have better memories of the karate graduation than a football game.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Being out of the nosebleed seats is always a good thing - whether it's a win or not

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I dunno ... I think you just might be mamma of the year. Don't take yourself out of the running just yet. You're pretty swell.

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.