Monday, September 27, 2010

muttonchop monday

It wasn't until I read Alanna Nash's Baby, Let's Play House: Elvis Presley and the Women Who Loved Him (Thank you, Hope!) that I cultivated a deeper appreciation for muttonchopped Elvis. Mmmm-hmmm. He was a beautiful man. I became smitten with young Elvis as a teenager when I watched Jailhouse Rock. I've listened to his music all my life. I've even got a pilgrimage to Graceland on my "Places to Go Before I Die" list. But reading his biography filled me in on so much more--a talented and narcissistic Peter Pan of a man who totally lost all control of his life. A wondrous creature, conflicted and ultimately destroyed by the man who profited most by his life (Damn you, Colonel Parker, you wicked, wicked man!). A man filled with good intentions and emptiness.

And I never knew that Elvis studied karate. A fun fact that made him even awesomer in my eyes.


Sure, he had (ahem) issues. But if you close your eyes and listen to his voice, you cannot help but get a little swoony.
A bad man with a bad scowl, black leather, Southern soul, motorcycle-ridin' and hard-livin'. Let's hold up our glasses/coffee cups/water bottles and give a Salute! to the King of Rock and Roll. Way to rock the muttonchop, Elvis.


10 comments:

  1. I have a soft spot in my heart for the King...he's definitely in my top 5 list of male singers who could sing the phone book and absolutely make me melt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dang. I'd never seen that video before. Elvis with about five dozen Elvis wannabe dancers. Dang.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love Elvis - As a gal who had two Elvis tunes in her wedding--gotta love him

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also love the Elvis.

    Our Wedding Song was I Can't Help Falling In Love With You. The guy who sang at my reception was also an Elvis impersonator, although he didn't wear the outfit at the wedding.
    I'm also going to Graceland before I die.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another shameful example of a talented artist who allowed their life to be dictated, and ultimately ruined, by an unscrupulous character. Very sad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Give me 'That's Alright Mama' and 'A Little Less Conversation' for my top 2!! I am continually stunned by The King's sincere and extreme devotion to his mama...I mean....kissing her feet and all that...whoa!

    I still haven't finished that book ~ I had to take a break due to the revolving-door effect! Muchas chicas para El Rey, que no? *heehee

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmm-hmmmm, baby - that's the kind of trouble I could handle (for a day or two!).

    He had such a great voice, even near the end of his life when substances were surely wreaking havoc on his body. I used to LOVE the weekends when tv stations would run Elvis movie marathons. Acting was so not his forte but, lordy, that man was sexy!

    "Poke Salad Annie" is one of my faves and his version of "Blue Christmas" (doo doo DEE doo doo) is my very favorite Christmas song.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always picture 70s Elvis, so am shocked when I see early Elvis.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow. He's ridiculously hot in that black and white pic. WOW.

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.