Monday, October 18, 2010

brought to you by the letter B

The weekend began with the Zoo Boo. Billions of jack o'lanterns, a swamp monster and busy animals.

Bowling wasn't pretty. I didn't even break my average. A Major Bummer.

Two boys played flag football, one is a rock star out there, blocking like a pro.

Then two boys survived Extreme Day as part of their Black Belt Testing. They did better than survive, actually. I nearly burst with pride.

Sunday we had a bonfire in the woods after church, with hot dogs and marshmallows to sustain us. Mr. D sawed down dead trees, clearing the path to the bridge. All three boys came home muddy from the creek, cheeks blooming from the fresh air. I literally stumbled across a cache of old, rusty barbed wire. Immediately I thought of blackbird and because my tetanus shot is up-to-date, coiled up a ball of it. The prickly bushes around the old fence line were more dangerous than the rusty wire. If you'd like the old fence post to go with the barbed wire, blackbird, just give a shout and I'll box it up for you.

We ended by wielding butcher knives and a small chainsaw to carve pumpkins. That big boy right there weighed over 100 pounds. We composted a barrel of pumpkin guts.

Before bed I asked Mr. B what he'd like to bring to school for a birthday treat this week.
He answered, "Bacon."

I'm not certain whether that fits into the "healthy food guidelines," so I'll probably bake cupcakes instead.

18 comments:

  1. Bacon vs Cupcake could be a health toss up! What a Boy!

    That pumpkin is Ginormous! Too cool :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A man after my own heart. I love bacon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Make a wreath for the porch with the barbed wire..

    ReplyDelete
  4. How about some kind of muffin with bacon in it?

    Wowee, what a pumpkin!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh come on, Mom! Bring the bacon! You'd be the coolest ever! Or at least you'd defend your title.

    We'll be going to our Zoo Boo this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In Georgia you can't carve pumpkins until a few days before Halloween -- or else they get rotten. It's to warm to leave them out for long.

    Great photo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the letter B

    it is the Best

    ReplyDelete
  8. nice job on the pumpkin! we planted giant pumpkins this year, but didn't have much luck...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute post. Surely Duff has a cake recipe involving bacon?!

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh. my. goddd. !! That pumpkin is a Beast! So huge!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Did you grow that pumpkin? Impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is one cool pumpkin. That's one thing I don't like about living in San Diego--you can only carve a pumpkin about 2 days before Halloween and you need to throw it away a couple of days after.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just saw Violet's comment--I'm sure I've seen a recipe for Cheddar muffins with bacon bits--yum!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bacon cupcakes. Of course. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Whoa...100 pounds of pumpkin?? How did you transport that??

    You could cut up the bacon into small bits and add to the top of the cupcakes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bowsa! (wowsa), what a boo-tacular weekend! We had a bonfire too, even on our little city lot.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Pfft - bacon can't be worse for you than cupcakes can it?

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.