Monday, October 11, 2010

giving it away

We had such a generous weekend here. Mr. D threw his annual party for his worker bees and brought home 3 dozen leftover buns and a tray of ribs. I passed 2 dozen buns along to the neighbors who were throwing a party for their daughter on Sunday and they had relatives to feed. We cleaned out the garage, in part because Mr. D is giving away his beloved sports car to one of his former baseball players. The kid went school and is now working on cars for a living--he'll restore this one to its former glory and knock the cobwebs off of it. All the extra space in our garage! It's amazing!

If that weren't enough, Mr. B ran the training wheels from Mr. G's bicycle up to the neighbor girl because we're through using those forever. And Mr. D hauled the battery operated Harley Davidson police motorcycle over to our other neighbors' grandson because our kids are simply too big to ride it any more. Without wincing I threw away several busted toys and bits and pieces of things we no longer own or use. Then I swept and hosed the space down before putting what remained back in place.

I feel liberated when I look in our garage now. We can move around freely to get to what we need and use. I have no guilt about having too much, I'm happy to see people enjoying what we've outgrown.

And the neighbor gal brought over leftover birthday cake last night. What comes around goes around in a wonderful way.

13 comments:

  1. I love getting rid of stuff! I just brought a bunch of clothes and stuff to the local thrift store. If I am not using it, someone else can. But it seems like the minute I bring a box over, I find more stuff to take!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love getting rid of stuff and it's even better if I can pass it on to someone else who can use it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. *Like!*

    I love getting rid of stuff no longer useful. I love even more seeing it go to someone who can use it. What a wonderful way to celebrate Canadian Thanksgiving. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice! I love how open things feel after you purge all the junk :) what a blessing to all of your neighbors too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. grrrr....I hate people with clean garages.
    (wink)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you guys had a busy weekend, but I bet you'll enjoy the results for a long time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh it does feel good to pass things on to someone who can use it! And cake too? Now that's a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay! That is so wonderful! It makes you feel so good too, doesn't it? Way to go! :)

    We cleaned out the garage this weekend too. The hubby even built himself a workbench and hung up all his tools and everything. I can't believe the space we have.
    And this past week I cleaned out all of our closets and donated all the nice, warm baby and toddler clothes (which was actually really hard for me to part with) to a single mothers' shelter. Made me feel good knowing that someone else would be happy to use the clothes that held such good memories for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. my daughter and SIL worked on our garage yesterday for hours and hours. we have a wheelchair ramp down the middle of our 2-car section and there's no room for me to lower the ramp on my car to load and unload my husband in the garage. So... they cleaned out the 'storage' section (the 3rd car) so I can pull in there and have room to lower the car ramp, load Ron, and then load his wheelchair without either of us having to be out in the weather. I'll have to be out just a bit as my car is too long with the ramp down to fit completely in the 3rd car section.

    We have tons of stuff for someone to come pick up. Just don't know who will come haul it for me. I can't load it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love getting rid of stuff and making more room. It's even better when you can give stuff to someone else who can use it. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the reuse of reduce, reuse, recycle! Purging is good!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. See? That man and his African baby can succkk itt. They don't know you. *hahaha!! Kidding!! Just kidding!! But look at how giving your family is....to turn around and see someone's piddling little envelope asking for cash for their new adopted kid...that would get on my nerves in light of all this!

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.