Wednesday, October 20, 2010

in which she speaks of politics, religion, education and biker/disco fusion

The most controversial issue consuming Happyland's school board of late is this: Should high school students be allowed to ride snowmobiles to school? Yep, that's a sign that we live in the country snowmobiles dominate school board debates for almost 8 months. The answer, for those of you interested, was a 4-3 vote against this seasonal mode of transportation. Nevermind that no snowmobile trail leads directly to the high school, or that the insurance company, county sheriff, town police and state sheriff opposed allowing snowmobiles on school properties. I believe one of the major deal breakers for the school board members voting on the issues was where to park the snowmobiles.

***

And speaking of politics and education with a side of religion dished up, I'm on a panel discussion at my church tomorrow morning. The topic? "School Choices for Your Children." I'm representing the "Public School Option" alongside the charter school moms, the homeschooling moms, and the parochial school moms. When it's over, I'll race out in time to don my hairnet and apron and serve sloppy joes to at Mr. T's PS (parochial school).

***
I would love to buy the soundtrack for Sons of Anarchy--if such a thing existed. Sadly, I have to go on the official SOA website and find the list of songs for each episode and then buy them individually. Alas! But I'll do it--a little bad-ass biker music makes an excellent addition to my disco play list. They both make me run faster, disco makes me run in a happy, bouncy kind of way, SOA rock makes me run in a more determined, woman-warrior kind of way. Biker/disco fusion. It could become a whole new fashion trend.

Spill it, reader. What's your fusion of choice these days?

9 comments:

  1. Haha! My boys would LOVE to drive snowmobiles to school. Wow. That would rock. Alas, where to park. ;)

    Really fast rock or rap music helps me run. A lot of Black Eyed Peas and Timberland. And some Marilyn Manson too, cuz he scares me and it makes me run faster. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fusion? Lily Allen and the B-52s, alternating. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where to park the snowmobiles -- well, that is an important thing to consider.

    My running music includes an odd mix of 80s music and modern Euro-techno stuff. There's nothing quite like Sash following vintage Madonna.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've decided I just *have* to have the Christmas CD by Jackie Evancho. I heard her sing last night for the first time and got goose bumps. I think her voice is so special and soothing.

    snowmobiles - LOL!!! I guess that's no worse than where to park your horse...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now you have me thinking and wondering if kids can ride snowmobiles to school here.

    I've been using my treadclimber a lot to walk/climb and I have to listen to something when I'm on it. I just went through my 50s playlist and am now going through my 60s one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. In all truthiness (heh), the fusion of choice for today will be whole grain bread, havarti cheese, and green apples into grilled cheese sandwiches. It's what's for dinner.

    Snowmobiles to school? OMG, says the woman from Southern California.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great topic! I like a little Patsy Cline with my Kanye....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Time to raise funds for snowmobile parking?

    So what, everybody has to be dropped to school in a thousand cars? Is this better? My boys cycle to school (minus four degrees C this morning!!) and I know that the exercise helps them to focus in their morning classes. What mum wouldn't want to stay indoors and wave her kids goodbye on a cold morning?

    Today's fusion: Bright sunshine and ice on the roof next door. Always surprises me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The fusion du jour is the possibility of combining the kiddies' running with our ministry to Puerto Lempira. How cool if we can be part of organizing a 5K to benefit Reach Out Honduras!

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.