Friday, October 1, 2010

kudos to crafters

Knitters and tatters and hookers, oh my!

I'm all thumbs when it comes to crafting. I struggle with tying pretty bows and I always use too much glue, making a sticky mess of the simplest projects. I envy people who can take glitter, some double-sided tape, scraps of old vinyl siding and a hot glue gun and create a centerpiece for the holiday du jour. The MacGyvers of crafting--you know the type.

Frankly, I have no desire to do most of it--I'm the first to admire beaded jewelry, a gorgeous photograph, an album of scrapbooked memories. But I have NO urge to settle down and learn--or acquire the materials to start stenciling/painting/stamping/embroidering. I'd rather appreciate other people's work. The quilts, the pottery, the greeting cards--I leave that to the experts. But I do wish I could sew.

an apron Kathy sewed.

I can stitch the patches on Mr. T's Boy Scout uniform. I can fix buttons and hemlines, but I haven't the foggiest clue about sewing machines and making something from scratch. That's one skill I missed learning. Perhaps someday I'll take classes or pay a tutor to help me figure it out. It would be fun to take old t-shirts and convert them into shopping bags or to reconstruct an old dress into something funky and unique to wear. Sewing is such a useful craft, that's why it appeals to me.

a throw pillow Kathy sewed.

This is one of the things I admire about Kathy over at Four Dog Day--she can sew. She loves gorgeous fabrics (and I do too!) and she can whip up a pattern faster than I can brew a pot of coffee. But beyond being able to sew, Kathy's one of those quintessential crafters who can paint and hammer and glue and assemble bits and bobs together to make lovely and unique things. I like to stick to easy hobbies that don't involve a lot of supplies. Birdwatching, for example. Eyes, binoculars, bird guide book. No assembly required. I don't kid myself when I troll Etsy--I know I'll never ever make the things I find there.

Reader, click on over to Four Dog Day and check out Kathy's shop. Each comment through Tuesday is an entry to win September's FABULOUS--the item of your choice (handcrafted by Kathy!) from the Four Dog Day Etsy Shop. I'll pick a winner Wednesday.

Spill it, reader. What craft are you good at? Or if you're like me, what craft do you wish you could learn?

23 comments:

  1. My mother is a quilter and a sewer.. I wish I could too-

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can sew patches?! Wow! I can't even do that. I'll have to check out this Etsy site. Hey, do you think she'll come and do some mending for me? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a crafter either, but I can do basic sewing--quilt type sewing. I made a baby blanket for my niece-to-be this past weekend, and figured out the binding all on my own! (Usually I have to have my mom interpret the patterns for me.) I was so proud.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also wish I could sew, it seems so practical and freeing. The closest thing to a craft I can do is draw, does that count?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can sew on buttons and sew stuffed animals back together (years of practice) but that is about it. How I wish I could sew. It would come in SO HANDY.

    I still love that rose, mauve handbag. So pretty! And the Christmas coasters. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can paper craft (scrap/stamp), and when I used to have time, I loved to do embroidery. I wish i could sew (I have the machine, and took lessons, but I'm still a dunce) and crochet.

    If you ever get interest in Crocheting, we should take lessons together...then someday we can send Team Testosterone to watch Team Estrogen and we can gab and crochet in your screen porch. :) I'll bring baked goods. Good plan, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love to craft, but rarely find the time. In our new house however, I have an offical craft room. Almost everything is in its place now and Lola and I are looking forward to making some fun stuff together. I get all my inspiration from crafty blogs but I don't know how they do it: get crafty every day, raise kids, work, run a household and blog about it too!

    Sewing lessons are fun, I highly recommend taking some!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can knit a mean scarf, but nothing else beyond squares and rectangles.

    I used to cross-stitch and needlepoint, but one day I put down the needle and realized that I was done -- I could not sew even one more stitch.

    I can also do basic sewing and have made several quilts and plenty of throw pillows and simple curtains over the years.

    Right now, I'm working on painting/gluing a Christmas craft.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The sewing gene skipped a generation. My mom sews and knits; my daughter sews. She just made an Ugli doll for her new baby cousin. Me? I can replace a button. That's it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am a decent crafter and would love to learn to quilt some day.

    I was a basic sewer as you are, but when my girls were little I did manage to make matching dresses. They were so cute and I felt so accomplished. My problem was that I didn't have a room for my stuff and I am NOT a messy dining room table person.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Holy cow....how cool is this?

    Well I am Kathy of Four Dog Day and yes, I do love to make stuff. I am not particular. I just have to be creating something all of the time...the etsy shop was the answer to the question....what do you do when you are constantly making things and you run out of people to give it to? It's been a blast.

    Thank you Green Girl for the kind words.....and trust me....if I can be a crafter...anyone can. Have an awesome weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I scrapbook and knit. I can do some basic sewing. I own a sewing machine.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can knit,sew on a machine, do cross-stitch and crewel embroidery.
    I have made scrapbook pages and handmade cards.

    I'd rather read.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Green Girl! It's good to be back! I'm more of a decorator crafter; painting and fabric art stuff. My real dorky love is cake baking and decorating. Does that count as a craft?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like her totes!

    I can sew button. That's it. I tried knitting last year. That didn't go so well.... I wish I could do that.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'd love to knit.
    I mean, I can knit a rectangle but have no patience for much more.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi! I came over from Four Dog Day. Love your blog, I'm now a follower.

    I can do most of that crafty stuff, but alas, I can't sew. I so admire someone who can fashion something wonderful out of fabric and thread!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello there :D
    [URL=http://www.triluliludownload.info]Trilulilu Download[/URL]

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have all the chick skills -- sewing, some knitting, crocheting, embroidery. I've made lots of curtains. Embarrasing for a feminist, really... ;)

    My biggest problem is that I lack the accessorizing gene. I wear shirt and pants. Period. I have no "stuff" on my walls. That kind of thing...

    I'd like to learn how to arrange flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  20. She is fabulous! She sent me a "shirt saver" for my husband (who has Parkinson's - among other things) and it works great. It's saved me countless hours in the laudry room.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am a quilter, cross stitcher, and beader.

    I am really good at choosing pleasing fabric combinations for quilts. I am quite good at machine piecing. I am not very good quilting (by machine or by hand), which is why there is a large pile of quilt tops in my closet instead of a long list of quilts I have given as gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have been sewing most of my life, and you can learn it too. You are right, it is so rewarding when the product is finished. Just start very simple and work your way up. I always wished I could draw without T-sqares and straight edges. Freehand. But, that is another person's talent.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm not really good at any craft but I try lots of them, knitting, crocheting, sewing, painting, I just love 'em all.

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.