Sunday, November 21, 2010

a fifth

In honor of Thanksgiving, I'm spending the entire week giving thanks--100 things I'm grateful for, 20 at a time. One fifth of a long list of blessings every day. Life is bountiful and I've learned that keeping focused on the bounty gives me a more cheerful spirit. Cultivating an "attitude of gratitude" makes everybody happier, so Thanksgiving should truly be the happiest holiday of all.

Without further ado, twenty things I am thankful for:

1. Cheese. Smooth, creamy, sharp, tangy cheese.
2. Jami Nato's blog "From the Nato's" where she has inspired me to decorate my entire house using the pages of an old book for Christmas this year. (So long, Understanding Arguments, you dry old college textbook! You look fantastic as a wreath!)
3. A new school for Mr. T where he's doing very well.
4. Spare change in my wallet. Enough to donate to the bell ringers beside the kettle at the grocery store.
5. Blackbird's blog "say la vie" where she turns my attention to lovely, strange and wonderful things every week.
6. Tulips and daffodils in springtime.
7. Mr. G's smiling face every morning.
8. Mr. B's kind and generous spirit.
9. Comfortable chairs.
10. Yoga stretches that take the kinks out.
11. A sense of balance (both figuratively and literally manifested in my life).
12. Eurolush, who makes me alternately laugh and swoon with envy at her life in Germany.
13. Don Draper.


14. And well tailored suits, obviously.
15. Those monks who discovered the coffee bean, figured out how to dry roast and brew those beans into the sweet nectar I drink each morning.
16.
Mr. D allowing me to be a "kept woman"...for now.
17. A great church.
18. The freedom to worship.
19. Jesus, God's gift of grace.
20. NPR--(it's a rap tribute!):

12 comments:

  1. Between the shout-out and the NPR rap you've just made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for reminding me to be thankful for the "big" and more especially "the little"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw a tree at the festival of trees last week where EVERYTHING on the tree was made of recycled paper. The garland was AMAZING and it had little owl ornaments made of crimped brown paper.

    If my photo of the tree turned out decent I'll email it to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. On my old laptop that will now only start up in "safe mode" I have a list of all things, big and small, that make me happy. It is a wonderful reminder to be thankful for the every day things that so often get overlooked.

    If only I could find my memory stick, I could try and retrieve it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Being thankful is something we are to do EVERY day - it's amazing that so many of us take the time.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing list! So great to be thankful
    xoxo
    SC

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a marvelous list and I'm looking forward to reading what else you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea, and a great list! What do you mean "a kept woman"... for now. ??? hmmm ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never met a cheese I didn't like. Well okay, just one. Goat cheese smells like feet.

    Excellent giving thanks idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, that video captured it completely--those that aren't NPR addicts just don't get it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing your gratitude, not only in list-form, but in delicious portions ; ) I enjoyed reading your first 2/5--fun NPR rap!

    I will be back for more!

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.