Tuesday, November 2, 2010

and now, a few words from our sponsor

I always feel proud to cast my ballot on election day, but I also feel cynical, weary and disgusted. A tiny part of me envies people living in places like Cuba where the airwaves and mailboxes are blessedly free of campaigning--one benefit of living under a dictatorship. Tomorrow my phone will cease ringing, the TV ads will revert to selling me fast food and cars once again, and my mailbox will contain only a few bills. The amount of money spent on mudslinging reached $4 billion this year. I look at my choices and I want to vote "D--none of the above." Sometimes I have a fantasy that the American public will show up to vote and return blank ballots--what would happen if we united and exercised our right to vote for none of them? What if we demanded a complete do-over? Would we get a new round of choices? Would we finally silence the political machinery running our nation? I'd like to take our country back from them, frankly...

But of course I'll vote. I have no right to complain if I don't--and it is my obligation as a citizen, although one wonders what effect that ballot has these days when corporate free speech has a bigger bankroll than the average citizen... and what's the obligation of "corporate citizens?" That's a question left unanswered by the Supreme Court... they handled it as a question of "Free Speech," but one might argue the nature of a corporation. Does it's very essence entitle it to the same Constitutional rights as a human being? Could the citizens of America ever unite to take their country back using their right to vote? Stay tuned...but I bet it won't happen this year.

Pretty deep for a Tuesday morning, aren't I?

At least one group of working men won the big prize last night. Let's hear it for the Giants! Whoo-hoo! Scary beards aside, that was just a great moment in baseball history. Hard working underdogs winning the World Series--the equivalent of a blue collar team in baseball. I can't wait to watch the Disnified version of this story on the big screen someday...

On a lighter note, Mr. D and I had an extraordinary experience last night. We went to Mr. T's parent/teacher conferences where four teachers sat in a row and told us "Mr. T is a hard worker, participates in class, asks questions, does great and is polite and pleasant." One teacher even suggested cloning him. Since first grade all we've heard is how frustrating it is to work with Mr. T--he "doesn't pay attention in class, struggles with keeping up, needs to work harder." What changed? I'd argue Mr. T didn't change that much--but sending him to a new school changed everything. We floated out of the building feeling giddy after hearing such praise for our son.

And even better? Watching Mr. T duck his head and grin while his teachers said such nice things about him.

In the spirit of November and Thanksgiving, I'll end this post with my gratitude for that. And to the suffragettes who fought for my right to vote--thank you, ladies. For you, for hope and for America I'll go vote.


23 comments:

  1. So glad you found the right place for Mr. T.

    Confession-- I'm not voting this time. I haven't kept up with who stands for what, and although I usually vote party when that's the case I'm so discouraged this time around from all the bashing and insanity I stayed home today. A little ashamed of myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ready to rip in the ballot box over here, Chica Verde! We have a Controversial Governor & we all can't wait to give him the boot...our choices are two women for next governor...but yeah, those two are "none of the above", unfortunately! *ha!*

    ::Aunt B waves her pennant-style flag!::
    GO T-RAVES!! !! !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I keep thinking about all the money spent on those political ads, and I sigh... Perhaps some ad agency is getting rich, but there are so many better ways to spend money.
    In other news, happy for you for hearing a happy report about your Mr. T!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for Mr. T! You've got a lot of good going on.

    Now you can forget about the whole election thingy. It's over for another year or two, right? It's always dicey, trying to navigate that whole political thing. When I lived in the states (I couldn't vote, not being a citizen), I would get into these intense discussions about politics and voting, and being a naive Canadian, I always felt somehow wrong about the voting. I found a party I liked, which wasn't a majority party, and was criticized for my views; people said it was a good thing I couldn't vote because my vote would be wasted -- why vote if it was going to be lost? It was only worth voting for a majority party (D or R), so the only way to have your vote "count" was to find the least repulsive party (R or D) and vote that one. Doesn't anyone actually vote their conscience? Wouldn't that change the face of politics if people voted their conscience? Very confusing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We missed the deadline to change our address with the board of elections. I'm so disgusted with the nasty campaigning this year.

    So happy for Mr T. The right environment (and teachers) can make a world of difference.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How wonderful that his entire academic career has turned around with the right environment. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such great news about Mr. T!!! I am so thrilled to hear this.

    I voted this morning and was happy with my choice for our Congressional seat. The incumbent conducted a clean campaign, plus has shown he's made of good stuff these past two years.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad you found a good place for Mr. T. I wish I'd been more proactive with Josh....he's just beat down by "the system" and I hope we can get him through high school. After that, who knows? So high fives all around for figuring out he needed something different before it was much too late.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so happy about the nice things Mr. T's teachers said about him. That feels so good as a parent to hear your child being praised. We always went to the parent/teacher conferences even if we had no questions or issues. We liked getting the positive feedback from the teachers. That's great too that this reaffirms that you made the right school choice for your son. Way to go mom and dad!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad that Mr.T is doing great at the "new" school. You have done a great job with finding the right place for him. I have been wondering if voters really believe that a politican can go to Washington and create jobs. If it were that easy it would have been done.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay! for Mr. T. It's kind of weird when a change of scenery makes it sound like you have a whole different kid. Also, no doubt, incredibly affirming of the decision to make that change!

    I can't vote. I totally blitzed and didn't update our voter registration when we moved. I didn't catch the error until a couple of weeks ago. Not that I want to vote for the schmucks on the ticket.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hurray for Mr. T!

    If I ever decide to become an American citizen (a very emotional decision that I am not ready to make yet) it would be because I want to vote. I think it is one of the most important rights we have and I feel morally bound to exercise that right. That being said, I am happy to let it pass me by this time. I do not envy anyone having to pick a favorite among the present batch of candidates.

    But I am thrilled I can tune into the radio again, or answer my phone. Thank God it's Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. We reached a low point in the campaign when the local news stations reduced the amount of content in their shows in order to air more political ads.

    I kid you not. I have connections. My connection is covering a "victory" party near Milwaukee tonight - I'd rather have him home.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey, that's lovely news about the parent/teacher conference...well done, all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Its amazing what a difference a change in schools can make. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I voted too. :)

    And it gives me a warm fuzzy every time I read about how great Mr. T is doing at his new school!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love reading you.
    Your posts always make me happy.
    And I can completely relate to the voting deal.
    But on we vote, and on we vote.
    We can hope can't we?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Politics is so depressing...

    SO happy Mr. T has settled in so well! I'm seeing that with Chas here, especially... He HATED school before, and now he springs out of bed in the morning ready for Education!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Politics is so depressing...

    SO happy Mr. T has settled in so well! I'm seeing that with Chas here, especially... He HATED school before, and now he springs out of bed in the morning ready for Education!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I feel the same way about voting. It doesn't really matter which party we have in office, it is still just a cluster. It is so frustrating. But I vote. I vote because it is my right, my privilege, and my duty.

    Hooray for Mr. T!!!!! That is just the BEST news! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. So happy to hear his new school is working out so well for him!

    ReplyDelete
  23. congrats to Mr. T for an awesome school year! my grandson is having a great year too and i think it has to do with changing schools for him, too. some teachers just don't get it.

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.